The fashion industry in Nigeria has not just played an important part in the culture of the country but also in the economy of the nation.
Individuals alone have explored the fashion industry and have through it improved their standard of living. There are so many designers in the country as well as fashion schools that can help you realize your dreams of being a fashion specialist and make a proper living through it.
In my previous article Best Fashion schools in Lagos with accommodation, I talked about fashion, fashion trends and the top fashion schools in Lagos. In my other article too 13 top Fashion Schools in Abuja, I gave a lot of detail. But in this article, I decided to put out an interesting list of all the top fashion schools in Nigeria
You must not forget that fashion designers are almost in every nook and cranny of our streets, but if your desire is to become certified in the fashion industry then I think you should move with me as I explore the top fashion schools in Nigeria according to States.
List of the Best Fashion Schools in Nigeria
- Fashion and Arts Academy
- Legsapparel Fashion School Port Harcourt
- Ginani Fashion Training Lagos
- Zaris Fashion and Style Academy
- Empriel Fashion Institute Abuja
- Hadazzah Styles and Stitches
- KGsignatures School of Fashion
- Mickeyoma Design Fashion Academy
- OSC Fashion Academy
- Tolumi School of Fashion Abuja
1 Fashion and Arts Academy
Fashion and Art Academy is a fashion school that was founded in the year 2000 by a Lady named Henrietta.
They have courses which are suitable for various categories, ranging from the Working class to the unemployed graduates. You can also get courses meant for undergraduates in Higher institutions too as well as Youth Youth Corp members.
Students in Secondary school, Primary school pupils, retirees, housemakers and housewives are also not left out.
The Fashion and Arts Academy currently offers Programs in:
- Fashion and design Production
- Couture Bridals
- Bespoke Jackets and suits
- Jewelry Craft
- Makeover artistry.
Address: Suite F10, Super Plaza Surulere, Opposite Havana Hospital. Phone: 08023290830, 080369904382 Email:[email protected]
2 Legsapparel Fashion School Port Harcourt
At Legsapparel, there is a common passion among students which is to design. It is a fashion school where you find expertise and professionalism.
Their Programs run in three different stages:
- BASIC PROGRAMS: Measurements, Use of Manual and Industrial sewing Machine, sewing techniques, Garment construction etc.
- INTERMEDIARY PROGRAM: Introduction to Fashion, Fashion and costume history, Fashion Sketching and Illustrations, Color theory, Textile theory, Fashion business, measurements, Garment construction and the use of manual & Industrial sewing machines.
- ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM: Fashion computer-aided Design, Fashion Entrepreneurship, business plan writing, Mass production, Fashion Branding, Sustainable Fashion, Product design and story board theme, Garment construction.
Address: No 15b, Ndachukwu street, Okporo Rumuehinwo Housing estate by Big Treat Bakery, Rukpokwu, Port Harcourt. Phone: 08068157180, 08100674805, 07020671737 Website: www.legsapparel.com
3 Ginani Fashion Training Lagos
Ginani has been the best fashion school in Nigeria for several years and has built a trusted fashion training system in the Nigerian fashion industry. Established in the year 2001. Since then it has trained 1000+ students by providing them with the best experience needed.
Ginani Fashion School Courses, duration and Fees
|TECHNICAL CLASS: pattern making module, sewing module, cutting module, fashion Illustration, Sizing, Basic bodice, Measurements, Trouser block, skirt block, Basic collection, Collar bock, sizing, sleeve block etc |
DURATION: 3 months
AMOUNT: 120,000 ( old price was 180,000)
COMBO 1:Technical class, Design class, Dart, Manipulation, Fashion Illustration, Contouring,Use of fullness, styling, blocks, advanced, sewing, intermediate, collection.
DURATION: 6 Months
COST/AMOUNT: 220,000 naira(old price was 300,000 naira)
COMBO 2: Technical class, Design class, production class, Fashion Illustration, advanced sewing module, advanced pattern making module, advanced Garment production, advanced styling and design, fashion design, jackets, use of CAD, advanced collection.
DURATION: 9 Months
AMOUNT/COST: 350,000 naira(Old Price
PROFESSIONAL: Pattern making module, Advanced sewing module, Fashion illustration, Use of CAD, Draping, Costing, Grading, Marketing, collection creation, technical class, production class, professional class.
DURATION: 1 Year
COST: 450,000( old price was 550,000)
Classes can be either online or offline. The registration fee at Ginani Fashion is N5000.
- Ginani Fashion school is Located at 11 Bank Olemoh close, Off Bank Olemoh Street, Akerele, Surulere Lagos.
- Telephone: 07088596249, 08033084223
- Click HERE to visit their website.
4 Zaris Fashion and Style Academy
Zaris Academy is a notable fashion brand in Nigeria that specializes in Fashion Education consultancy. There are certification courses for every program run at Zaris Fashion and Style Academy. At Zaris Academy, students’ dreams come through with their 7 years of experience, everything looks pretty much easy.
NB: Regitration Fee at Zaris is N5000
Zaris Fashion and style academy courses, Duration and fees.
|INTRODUCTORY COURSE 1: Basic Designs, Modelling, Fashion Photography etc |
DURATION: 3 Months( 6 Months for weekend classes)
COST: N112,000 with optional courses and N102,000 without optional courses.
INTRODUCTORY COURSE 2: Hands-on tailoring, Sewing skills, Pattern drafting, Clothing construction.
DURATION: 3 Months
ADVANCED COURSE 1:Fashion design, Fashion management, Garment design and production, pattern drafting, fashion drawing, fashion illustration.
DURATION: 3 Months
COST/AMOUNT: N135,000 with optional courses and N130,000 without optional courses.
ADVANCED COURSE 2: Advanced fashion designing, Pattern drafting, fashion illustration, Fashion business management and entrepreneurship, Fashion Photography, Fashion Management.
DURATION: 3 Months
COST: N240,000 with optional courses and N230,000 without optional courses.
ADVANCED COURSE 3: participating students must have had a prerequisite knowledge of advanced courses 1 and 2. Students will learn Advanced training in Couture sewing techniques, Portfolio planning, Production and retail.
DURATION: 6 months for beginners and 3 months for experienced designers
COST: N380,000 for beginners and N320,000 for experienced designers.
ZARIS ACQUISITION SKILLS: Students Learn:
Making the Fashion Accessories that complement the look of the dress. Others include Jewelry and bead making, Gele tying, makeup, soft furnishings, bag making, Hair accessories, Embroidery and stoning, making of underwear, swimwear and lingerie, shoe making and leather sewing.
DURATION: 1 Month for skill acquisition and also another 1 month if interested in those short courses.
COST: N80,000 for skill acquisition and N30,000 for the short courses if interested.
- Address: They’re located at 37A Ladipo Kasumu Street, Off Allen Avenue, Ikeja.
- Phone numbers: 08035794001 08024927850
5 Empriel Fashion Institute Abuja
At Empriel fashion institute, classes are practical and courses cut across: Fashion designing, pattern drafting, practical sewing, techniques for clothing construction, Fashion business management, entrepreneurship and fashion illustration.
Empriel Fashion is a well equipped vocational institute in Abuja that delivers knowledge to students on fashion design and creation.
At Empriel, students also learn how to sketch, how to manipulate colour, how to create fashion trends, fashion management and how to make profits from the fashion business.
Address: Suite A 24A, Efab Mall, Area 11, Garki, Abuja. Phone 08033642654
6 Hadazzah Styles and Stitches
Hadazzah Styles and stitches is a fashion school that has a specialization in fashion illustration, style interpretation and contemporary design. Most students at this fashion school are females. They also carry out a host of other activities.
Hadazzah styles and stitches Courses and address.
Classes at Hadazzah are purely practical and each student is entitled to one machine. Their courses last a range of 3 to 8 months depending on the courses. You can take your courses either full time or part-time.
Courses at Hadazzah include Fashion Illustration, Pattern Making, Interpretation of styles, clothing construction and contemporary design.
Address: Hadazzah is located at No 9, oduduwa street off Kilo Bus Stop, Surulere, Lagos Nigeria Phone number 08024456217
7 KGsignatures School of Fashion
The KGsignatures school of fashion train students in the art of fashion. Here students get acquainted with designing, measurement, pattern drafting, conceptualization and Illustration.
It is a fashion school that has been in business since the year 2002, They officially launched the LUSH’N’RUSH which is a ready-to-wear line in the year 2019.
Students are exposed at Kgsignatures to the western style of fashion which is basically all about innovation and creativity.
They give their students the exposure to western styles blended with our own African style. Depending on what your aspirations are, they help you actualize your dreams.
Courses at KG School of Fashion include: Digital Fashion Illustration, Fashion Photography, Computer-Aided pattern drafting, sewing techniques, pattern making etc
KG School of fashion course duration and costs.
|COURSE: Pattern making, sewing technique and fashion Illustration|
DURATION: 6 Months
COURSE: Sewing techniques and pattern drafting: Basic classes costs N120,000 for 3 months
Advanced classes: 3 months at N120,000
COURSE: Fashion Illustration
DURATION: 80 hours
COURSE: FASHION CAD
DURATION: 80 hrs
Address: No 22 Abeokuta street Anifowose, Ikeja, Lagos Phone: 08170324047, 08032676562 websites: www.mickeyomadesign.com
8 Mickeyoma Design Fashion Academy
Mickeyoma Design Fashion academy is a fashion school with a head office in Ikeja, Lagos that provides its students with sound knowledge of fashion design and development.
This Fashion school declared operation to cut and sew which is a two weeks subsidized training for its students.
Courses at Mickeyoma Design Fashion Academy and Duration
N100,000 for the beginner’s course, N250,000 for the intermediate course and N320,000 for the advanced course.
Address: 22 Abeokuta street Anifowoshe, Ikeja, Lagos, Contact: 08032676562, 08170324047
9 OSC Fashion Academy
OSC fashion school is a fashion school that is based on consultancy, a clothing line and garment production. It was founded by Ms Sola Babatunde.
Working with students over the years has proven that when youths are given the basic training and opportunities then they tend to thrive well through consistency.
OSC fashion academy courses and fees
- Fashion Collection Development: N150,000
- Garment Production Management: N350,000
- Computer-Aided Pattern making: N250,000
- Certificate for Fashion Management: N350,000
- Men’s Wear Pattern making: N700,000
- Female Wear pattern Making: N 750,000
- Full 1-year course N 1,500,000
Address: 11a Downhill Crescent, Harmony enclave of James Oluleye Street, next to Aseniyi, Ikeja, Lagos. Phone: 08033029096 Click HERE to Visit Website:
10 Tolumi School of Fashion Abuja
This fashion school focuses on Formal teaching of Fashion skills. Established in 2010. Though a young school, They have amassed over 5000 students on shop courses as a facilitator for the NYSC in Nigeria.
Not only do they give you the best when it comes to fashion but also they offer online classes for students.
Currently, they have branches in Lagos and Ibadan.
Their Online courses include:
| ONLINE COURSES|
1. Gospel According to Perfect Cuts(GAPC)
2. Shirt Master class
3. Cap Making
4. Bodice Master class
5. Pattern drafting course: N52,000 for level 1, N52,000 for Level 2, N95,000 for the full pattern drafting class.
6. Flat cutting course
7. Full Fashion Course: N65,000 for beginners, N85,000 for the intermediate class, N100,000 for Advanced class.
8.Full experience course: N 320,000
1.Basic 1 fashion Program: N170,000
2. Basic 2 Fashion Program:
A. Entry Level PRO course
B. Pattern Drafting Course: 100,000
C. Advanced/ Finishing course
D. Complete Bridal course :
DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE
Address: 6, second Avenue Centage Estate, Apo Abuja FCT, Nigeria. Phone: 09074338883 Email: [email protected]
Other Fashion Schools in Nigeria
- Addurrah Creations
- ATO Fashion Academy
- Back and Better Fashion School
- Celebrity’s Fashion Academy
- Cheryl Cold Fashion School
- Creative Options Sewing and Craft Centre Fashion School
- De-Image Creation
- Elveela Designs
- Fashion, Art and Creative Academy (House of Henri)
- Funky Beads Fashion School
- Glamour Institute of Fashion Textile and Craft Fashion School
- GMYT Skill Acquisition Academy
- Hats of Best Fit Fashion School
- Istituto Di Moda Burgo
- Jayne’s Heart of Hats Fashion School
- Kendy’s Creation Fashion School
- Klassic Fashion Design Academy
- Nikky Africana Fashion School
- Nobel Afrik Fashion Training
- Octoxii School of Shoe Making
- Phitop Training School
- Princessklin Ventures Fashion School
- Rhoda Michaels Fashion Academy
- The Creative Tailoring Class
- Valisimo Fashion School Lagos
- Vigold School of Fashion
- Zapron Fashions School
Top Fashion Designers in Nigeria
In this section, I will discuss the Top 5 Fashion designers in Nigeria.
Duro Olowu: Duro Olowu is a Nigerian-born British fashion designer who is gifted with his ability to innovate. Olowu was born in Lagos but moved to the United Kingdom when he was 16.
In 2005 Olowu won the New designer of the year award at the British fashion awards. Through the support of the then American first lady, Michelle Obama he was commissioned to decorate a part of the White House in 2015.
Despite being a Lawyer, Fashion has always been Olowu’s, first Love.
Deola Sagoe: Adeola started designing in 1989 and has gained international recommendations because of her colorful designs. Deola, the founder of “The house of Deola Sagoe” has earned her global respect and as such has been celebrated by Notable Personalities such as Wii Smith, Oprah Winfrey and the likes.
She studied at the both University of Lagos and the University of Miami gaining a Master’s degree in Finance and Management.
Her recent works include hand-dyed Adire Fabric which is usually made by women in our Yoruba communities.
Lisa Falawiyo: Lisa is a Nigerian born Fashion designer who has gained popularity because of the way she incorporates traditional textiles with modern tailoring techniques.
She studied Law at the University of Lagos. Her collections are seen around the globe, US, the UK, Nigeria and South Africa.
Soares Anthony: Soares Anthony is a young, and talented Masculine fashion designer. His love for Fashion grew from a young age when he spent time making drawings.
His Clothing lines are sold globally, in the UK, US and France. He runs programs that help young Nigerian designers gain experience in the fashion world, such that they can compete globally.
Mai Atafo: Mai is a Nigerian Fashion Tailor who trained at Leeds-based Savile Row Academy. He hails from Osun. He has worked in several Marketing departments of top companies in Nigeria.
Not only that, Mai Atafo is an IT specialist with Masters degree in Information systems and Technology from the United Kingdom. A proof that Fashion does not Limit you.
Fashion Schools in Nigeria (FAQs)
Is a degree in Fashion worth it?
A degree in Fashion is Worth it. Checking through the profiles of the best designers in Nigeria as well as the world is proof that fashion can open numerous doors of opportunities if taken seriously.
Not only that, People are nowadays looking for trending things, therefore, there is a steady improvement in the fashion industry as well as a steady competition. This means there will always be a business for you in the fashion world.
In General, People will always wear clothes, either for protection, for comfort, and for many other practical reasons. Therefore a degree in fashion is worth it as you can use your Imagination to create patterns that look interesting to the eye, and more stylish which will make your products sell out and therefore retain you in business.
Polytechnics/universities that offer Fashion and Design in Nigeria
Below is a list of Polytechnics offering Fashion and Design in Nigeria. As long as you have your O’level result, then you have a higher chance of studying Fashion and designing in any of these schools below.
- Auchi Polytechnic: Entry requirements include any three subject combinations in the UTME exam.
- Benue State Polytechnic: Entry requirements include Credit in English, Fine Arts and any other two subjects in your O’level result.
- Federal Polytechnic Oko: Entry requirements include O’level Credit passes in English, Fine Arts and any other two subjects.
- AUCHI poly: Accepts any three subject combinations as UTME subjects.
- Institute of Management Technology Enugu: Entry requirements include Credit passes in English language, Mathematics and any other three from your O’level result.
- Yaba College of Technology: Entry requirements include English, Arts, Textile/Home economics as well as any other two subjects.
- Kaduna Polytechnic: Entry requirements include Credit in English Language, Mathematics and three other arts subjects.
- The Polytechnic Ibadan: Entry requirements include three subject combinations. contact school.
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Delta State Polytechnic
- Jigawa state institute of Information Technology.
How can I become good at Fashion designing?
- Get the Knowledge. This involves either going through a training session at a fashion school or from a fashion designer.
- Expand your Horizons: Here involves going the extra mile to become good at what you do. Attend seminars if you have to, and watch YouTube videos related to fashion so as to improve.
- Look for internships: Fashion students who have interned with big fashion firms tend to gain better experience than those who didn’t.
- Choose a Strategy: In this case, choose if you want to work independently or with a firm. Have a particular style of design.
- Patience: Big Fashion brands were not built in Just one day, So it will definitely take some time before you become global. Therefore at this stage, Patience is necessary. Then you’re good to go.
What Skills does a fashion designer need?
- Creativity: You must have an eye on trending things and as such can think out in your head what the society needs and would Like.
- Drawing Skills: A designer must at least know how to sketch, and do some basic drawing of the work which he is about to carry out.
- Sewing Skills: All fashion designers need to know how to sew because there lie the basic things in Fashion.
- Strong Visualization Skills: Here he is able to tell when fabric should be draped, pinned or trimmed. He will need to also be smart in selecting good materials for displays for attraction.
- Good Communication Skills; A designer must have a clear way of communication, especially with customers.
- Competitiveness: A Fashion designer must have that drive or spirit to compete in the fashion industry.
- Good Business Acumen: A fashion designer must have an eye for Business, in order to be able to run his industry when it starts doing well.
- Computer skills: Some of the current fashion machines are computerized, and there is the basic software that run on computers to make work easier. Good knowledge of computers will put you an edge ahead of your competitors.
- Decision-Making Skills: A designer should be able to make a clear and right decision.
Fashion Designs are on the rise today, Explore your abilities today in the fashion world and watch yourself grow to that height you desire in the Fashion industry.
- 13 Top Fashion Schools in Abuja
- Best Fashion Schools in Lagos With Accommodation
- 23 Best Music Schools in Abuja With Their Location
- Fashion Schools in Lagos
- Fashion schools in Port Harcourt
- Best Fashion schools in Nigeria
- Fashion schools in Benin City
- Fashion schools in Ibadan
- Fashion schools in Imo State
- Fashion schools in Ebonyi State
- Fashion schools in Bayelsa
- Fashion schools in Anambra
- Fashion schools in Ekiti State
- Fashion schools in Akwa Ibom
- Fashion Schools in Delta State
- Fashion schools in Abia State
- Fashion schools in Gombe
- Fashion Schools in Cross River State
- Fashion schools in Enugu
- Fashion schools in Kaduna
- Fashion schools in Abeokuta