If you are searching for nursing schools in Imo State, you are on the right page. I have given full details on all the nursing schools in Imo state, and I have answered some relevant questions regarding nursing schools in Imo state. Relax, and read carefully. Ensure you ask your questions at the end of the article.
Nursing offers a wide range of career opportunities. Nurses are hands-on health professionals who provide focused and highly personalized care to patients. The following are the typical duties of a nurse:
- assessing and planning nursing care requirements
- providing pre- and post-operation care
- monitoring and administering medication and intravenous infusions
- taking patient samples, pulses, temperatures and blood pressures
- writing records
- supervising junior staff
- organising workloads
- providing emotional support to patients and relatives
- tutoring student nurses
Here are the nursing schools in Imo State:
Check out: 10 List of Catering schools in Imo State
List of Nursing schools in Imo State
These are the nursing schools in Imo State:
- Dept. of nursing, Imo State University, Owerri
- College of Nursing & Health, Orlu
- School of Basic Midwifery, Aboh Mbaise
- School of Nursing Umulogho, Obowo
- School of Nursing, Amaigbo
- School of Nursing, Emekuku
- School of Nursing, Mbano
- School of Nursing, Owerri
- School of Post Basic Midwifery, Emekuku
- School of Post Basic Midwifery, Awo-mmamma
# Dept. of nursing, Imo State University, Owerri
School fees; between 150,000 to 200,000 Naira per session
Accommodation: Hostel accommodation within the town goes between 70,000 to 120,000 Naira. However, the university recently added an on-campus accommodation for students.
Dept. of Nursing, Imo State University, Owerri is considered as one of the nursing schools in Imo state where students can attend and get the necessary requirements towards becoming a Nurse.
There are different categories of nursing programs in this nursing school. The requirement for the different nursing programs differ.
These nursing programs differ in terms of qualification and duration as well. These different nursing programs in this university include:
- General Nursing program(RN)
- Post Basic Midwifery Program(RM)
- Post basic Psychiatric Nursing program
- Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree Program(B.N.SC)
Below are the requirements for each of the different nursing programmers listed above.
General Nursing program(RN) requirements in IMSU
- Duration of study: Three (3) Calendar years.
- Registration obtained: Registered Nurse (RN).
Registered Nurses are found in hospitals, medical offices, nursing care facilities, and clinics. They assist doctors and nurses in providing clinical care to their patients.
An RN is a nurse who has completed an Associate degree in Nursing(ADN) or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) and has taken the test that is required to earn RN credentials. That means you can earn ADN or BSN degree to become a licensed registered nurse.
Here are the requirements to be admitted for this nursing program at Imo State University.
Post Basic Midwifery Program(RM)
- Duration of study: One (1) Calendar year.
- Registration obtained: Registered Midwife (RM).
Post Basic Midwifery Program(RM) is designed to train students on practical midwifery skills. It gives them the knowledge and clinical experience which they need to become a registered nurse.
They provide support, care, and advice during and after pregnancy, as well as the labour and postpartum period. Their services help promote normal birth, detect complaints in mother and child, and finally provide medical care and assistance.
Post basic Psychiatric Nursing program
- Duration of study: One (1) Calendar year.
- Registration obtained: Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN).
Mental health nursing is equally known as psychiatric nursing and it involves the care of individuals with a mental health disorders.
These nurses help them recover and improve their quality of life.
This kind of nurses equally have advanced knowledge of the assessment, diagnosis, and typically work with other health professionals in their medical team in order to provide the best clinical outcomes.
Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree Program(B.N.SC)
- Duration of study: Five (5) Calendar years with one year internship in a recognized health care institution.
- Registration obtained: Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Midwife (RM), Registered Public Health Nurse (RPHN) and Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN).
- Academic qualification: Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree (B.N.sc)
Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree is a major academic degree that can be obtained in the nursing schools in Imo state especially in IMSU.
Nurses in this field provide students with the skills to undertake a wide variety of professional roles in the nursing field.
They take on leadership roles in the hospital, monitor admissions and discharges, oversee the activities of the nursing and support staff.
They are also involved in direct care, overseeing the healthcare needs of patients.
Requirements to Study Nursing in IMSU
Candidates must possess 5 credit Level passes in WASSCE/SSCE or its equivalent at not more than two sittings and it must include the following subjects;
- English Language
For direct entry students;
Candidate with Registered Nurse certificate, and five credits at an ordinary level which must include not more than two sittings and at credit levels:
Candidates with a GCE Advanced level certificate must also have an appropriate pass in the screening test of the university.
Degree holders in science disciplines with not less than 2nd Class Honours may be admitted through direct entry.
Non-nursing qualified direct entry students will be expected to sit for at least 2 professional examinations like UTME candidates.
How to apply
Step 1: Log in to the University’s admission portal with your JAMB registration number.
Step 2: Generate payment invoice and proceed to pay at selected commercial banks. Participating banks include Zenith Bank, IMSU Microfinance Bank, First Bank, Imo State Micro Finance Bank, FCMB, UBA.
Step 3: Confirm your payment and entries on the portal.
Step 4: Complete the form with your O’level results and other missing details.
Step 5: Print out your acknowledgement slip.
# College of Nursing & Health, Orlu
- College of Nursing & Health Orlu fees estimated to be between 150,000 to 200,000 Naira per session.
This is one of the nursing schools in Imo state whose admission Form is always on sale each year. Students can either register online or offline.
The Management of the school usually informs the general public on the sale of forms as well as their INTERNSHIP FORMS and also the sales of two (2) years Post Basic Nursing programmes.
Requirements for the three years General Nursing Programmes
1)FOR GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMME
Admission Requirements Candidates for admission into the General Nursing Programme of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria must posses the following:
The Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent with five credits to which must include at not more than two sittings:
- English Language
- Biology/Health Science
Duration of Training: Three Calendar Years.
2) FOR POST-BASIC NURSING MIDWIFERY PROGRAMME
The Candidate must be a Registered Nurse;
The candidate must possess Five O’Level Credits not more than two sittings;
The candidate must also meet all institutional Requirements.
Duration of Training: Two Calendar Year.
The sale of form is usually announced by the Management of the school each year.
How to check college of nursing & Health admission List
- Go to College of Nursing & Health, Orlu Admission List checking portal at https://www.nmcn.gov.ng/.
- Supply your Application Number (e.g OGSONM/1114) in the appropriate column.
- Click on ‘Check Admission Status’ button to access your College of Nursing & Health, Orlu Admission Status.
# School of Basic Midwifery, Aboh Mbaise
This is one of the nursing schools in Imo state that has its application open to students of all races, colours, religions, gender, or nationality to pursue a nursing degree.
The school is open to both indigenes and non-indigenes provided they meet with the school of Basic and midwifery Aboh Mbaise entry requirements.
The following programs run at certificate level are offered:
1. Public Health Nursing
2. Orthopaedic Nursing
3. Paediatrics Nursing
4. Anaesthetist Nursing
5. Accident and Emergency Nursing
6. Pre-operative Nursing
7. Ear, Nose and Throat Nursing
8. Burns and Plastic Nursing
9. Cardiothoracic Nursing
10. Occupational Health Nursing
11. Intensive Care Nursing
12. Nursing Administration
13. General Nursing
The general nursing program admission requirements for candidates who are interested includes:
- Candidates musthave reached the age of 16 years.
- The candidate must have at least 5 Credit grades in their O’level result. Not more than two sittings.
- The Candidate must score at least 100 in the Jamb UTME examination.
The duration of study is 3 years and the award obtainable at the end of your training is the Registered Nurse(RN).
# School of Nursing Umulogho, Obowo
School of Nursing Umulogho, Obowu fees are estimated to be between 150,000 to 200,000 Naira per session.
The Our Lady of Mercy Hospital was founded by his Lordship most Rev. Dr Anthony G Nwedo C.S.S. P, the then Catholic Bishop of Umuahia Diocese in 1962.
The Nigeria Biafra civil war affected the hospital’s growth. On 9th Feb. 1972, the hospital was completed and officiated opened with sixty beds capacity. Since then, the hospital has served Umulogho and a population of over 100.000 people.
On July 31st, 1983 the school of Nursing was born. It was inaugurated by His Excellency, Governor Mbakwe of Imo State.
The 2015 Common Entrance Form into School of Nursing Umulogho Obowo L.G.A Imo State is out. NOTE: That no other individual or organization are authorized to sell the form.
All aspiring candidates must come to the school for registration after making payment of N10,500 into the school of nursing,umulogho account number 2012207031 at First Bank. Then present your teller and 1 coloured passport and WAEC Result
Requirement: The school is open to all and sundry provided they meet the school’s requirements.
Below are their programs and requirements.
REQUIREMENT FOR THE THREE YEARS GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMMES
1. GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMME Admission Requirements:
Candidates for admission into the General Nursing Programme of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria must possess:
The Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent with five credits to include English Language and either Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Health Science at not more than 2 sittings.
Duration of Training: Three Calendar Years.
2. POST-BASIC NURSING MIDWIFERY PROGRAMME Admission Requirements:
The Candidate must be a Registered Nurse
Five-O, Level Credits not more than two sittings and must also meet all institutional Requirements.
Duration of Training: Two Calendar Year.
# School of Nursing, Amaigbo
This is one of the nursing schools in Imo state that gives students the opportunity to obtain a degree in the nursing field.
They have internationally recognized qualifications and their graduates often get jobs as soon as they obtain their degrees.
At this school of nursing, you are able to build your leadership skills and get exposed to outstanding researchers of quality.
How do I track School of Nursing Amaigbo Application
- Always state your name, surname, student number, ID number, and contact number in your email and give an outline of your inquiry.
- Check the correctness of your personal information as well as the status of your application on the School of Nursing Amaigbo Login(School of Nursing Amaigbo Portal) regularly.
How do you know if your School of Nursing Amaigbo Application was received
If the School of Nursing Amaigbo begins to process your application, the School of Nursing Amaigbo will send you an acknowledgement of receipt letter or email with an application number.
The School of Nursing Amaigbo doesn’t send an acknowledgement of receipt until the School of Nursing Amaigbo has opened your application and checked that it’s complete.
There may be a delay between the date the School of Nursing Amaigbo receives your application and the date the School of Nursing Amaigbo opens it.
Your application will be returned to you if:
- it’s incomplete
- fees are missing or
- it’s received after a program is paused, closed or a cap is reached
How do I track my School of Nursing Amaigbo Application?
Use a courier service that requires a signature when delivered. This gives you a delivery confirmation and allows you to track your package.
For some paper applications, you can get detailed application status and your messages online. You can do this by linking an application to an online account.
By Online application:
You’ll see a confirmation page after you submit your application. You’ll also receive an email asking you to check your account.
A confirmation message with a confirmation number will be in your account. Keep your confirmation number for your records.
Please note that it may take a few hours for you to receive an email from the School of Nursing Amaigbo after you’ve submitted your application. This nursing school is one of the nursing schools in Imo state where you can apply online.
# School of Nursing, Emekuku
Tuition fee: N100,000 and above per session.
This is one of the old nursing schools in Imo state. It was established in the year 1932. School of Nursing, Emekuku is an arm of the HOLY ROSARY HOSPITAL EMEKUKU.
This is one of the nursing schools in Imo state that invites students to enrol each year and their application form is placed at the price of N15,000, though can change.
The Admission Management of the School of Nursing Emekuku releases the Admission Form each Academic year online.
Just like other nursing schools in Imo state, 5 credits in GCE/WAEC/NECO in not more than 2 sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are required.
Applicants must have passed in 3 subjects, one of the passes could be Grade D or better at the ´A´ Levels.
Students are advised to go through the school fees schedule before applying. There are hostels on campus and the accommodation fee is different from the tuition fees.
Newly admitted students pay the acceptance fee first upon admission in order to secure their spot at the institution.
Paying in Installments are not allowed. A late payment could attract extra charges and failure to payments can lead to students not taking the examination.
ABOUT HOLY ROSARY HOSPITAL EMEKUKU
Holy Rosary Hospital Emekuku is one of the nursing schools in Imo State and is a healthcare institution of the Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri, founded in 1932.
It was the foremost health institution in the Eastern part of Nigeria covering Port Harcourt, Umuahia, Aba and Enugu, apart from Imo, as its catchment areas.
The Hospital had attained the status of Teaching Hospital in the 1970s. Although it played important role in the alleviation of pains during the Nigeria-Biafra War, the war paralysed its growth.
The hospital upholds medicare services informed and guided by Catholic spiritual and moral principles which place priority on the compassionate care of the sick after the pattern of Our Lord Jesus Christ; caring for God’s ailing children and continuing, on behalf of the Archbishop and his Archdiocese, Christ’s healing ministry on earth.
# School of Nursing, Mbano
Admission forms at this school is a specified fee of #18,200
College of Nursing Sciences Mbano commenced as a School of Nursing in 1983 under the proprietorship of the then Catholic Bishop of Okigwe Diocese, Most Rev. Dr Anthony Ilonu., with Rev. Sr. Mary Thomas Anyanwu, IHM, as the pioneer Principal.
It is one of the institutions/nursing schools in Imo state that was founded out of the need created by the devastating effects of the Nigeria civil war, which ended in 1970.
There was a dearth of manpower for quality responsive healthcare providers to take care of the victims of the numerous outbreaks of infectious diseases caused by the degraded post-civil war environments.
As a School of Nursing, the institution had only one department – General Nursing, which prepared her graduates for the award of diploma certificate (Registered Nurse) by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).
College of Nursing Sciences Mbano established an in-service training policy, thereby encouraging continuous academic development for faculty members who are running postgraduate programmes and sponsors some of their training. There are accommodations for students as well.
Nursing Admission Requirements
1. Ordinary level results (WAEC or NECO), not more than 2 sittings or NABTEC result in just 1 sitting.
2. Candidates must obtain at least a credit in Mathematics, English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
3. Valid school testimonial.
Admission Form for Midwifery
Qualified candidates are invited to obtain a midwifery entrance form from the admission department in Academic Complex 1.
1. Ordinary level results (WAEC or NECO) in not more than 2 sittings or NABTEC result in just 1 sitting
2. Candidates must obtain at least a credit in Mathematics, English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry
3. Valid school testimonial
The cost of the application form is #18,200 and must be paid into the College’s bank account which is to be obtained from the College
# School of Nursing, Owerri
Application forms can be obtained from the admissions office or the official Imo State School of Nursing website.
It is one of the nursing schools in Imo state that is often referred to as Federal Medical Center FMC School Of Nursing Owerri.
Applications are however always on sale each year.
Requirements to study at School of Nursing, Owerri
- Five credits in SSCE/GCE ‘0’ Level in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry & Physics (Combination of results should not be at more than two sittings).
- Applicants should bring along a pencil, eraser, ruler, pen, original receipt issued by the cashier and certified passport photograph to the examination venue.
- Only candidates who have satisfied the conditions for admission will be called for interview.
Course Fee: Details will be provided on admission.
All duly completed forms must be accompanied by the following:
- Two (2) photocopies of the receipt for the purchase of form
ii. Photocopy of relevant credentials as indicated on the application form.
iii. Email address and mobile telephone number.
# School of Post Basic Midwifery Emekuku
School of Post Basic Midwifery Emekuku 2020/2021 ADMISSION FORMS ARE ON SALES NOW.
The Management of the school hereby informs the general public on the sales of the general Nursing Admission form into the School of Nursing. And also the sales of two (2) years Post Basic Nursing Programme.
REQUIREMENT FOR THE THREE YEARS GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMMES
1. GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMME: Requirements for Candidates seeking admission into the:
General Nursing Programme;
Just like other nursing schools in Imo state, Candidate must possess the Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent with five credits to include English Language and either Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Health Science at not more than 2 sittings.
Duration of Training: Three Calendar Years.
2. POST-BASIC NURSING MIDWIFERY PROGRAMME
The Candidate must be a Registered Nurse,Five-O, Level Credits not more than two sittings and must also meet all institutional
Requirements. Duration of Training: Two Calendar Year.
# School of Post Basic Midwifery, Awo-mmamma
School of Post Basic Midwifery, Awo-Omamma is one of the nursing schools in Imo state whose admission form is always on sale each year. They run a three years training. They sell forms/have programs on:
POST BASIC NURSING
POST BASIC MIDWIFERY
In addition, students must have reached the age of 16 years. The candidate must have at least 5 Credits in their O’level results at not more than two sittings.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many questions that are asked with regards to nursing schools in Imo State. I have taken my time to answer a few of them below. However, if there are more questions or you need clarifications, you can call the number 08163883819 for first-hand information.
what are the requirements to study general Nursing and midwifery?
This general nursing midwifery nursing in most nursing schools in Imo state and Nigeria takes about three years to complete. In the end, the student is awarded the title of a registered nurse(RN). The requirements to get into this nursing category are:
SSCE certificate with a minimum of 5 credits that must include English Language and any science subject which can be Biology, Chemistry, or Physics and in not more than two sittings.
The applying student must be between 18 to 35 years before applying.
What are the requirements to study the Post Basic Nursing Education?
This category is for students who have obtained the degree of a registered nurse and intend to further in the field. They therefore can decide to go for the Post Basic Nursing Education.
Once they graduate, they are qualified to obtain the title “Registered Midwife” known as RM in short form. The requirements to go for the Post Basic Nursing Education include:
- You must have obtained the qualification of “Registered Nurse”
- You must meet the general requirements of that nursing school which oftentimes is the same for all nursing schools in Nigeria.
- You must be ready to undergo the training for 1 year.
For secondary school students, they should work towards getting high grades in their science subjects since nursing, in general, depends on the application of scientific methodologies.
what are the general requirements for the Post Basic Psychiatric Nursing Programme?
For you to go for the Post Basic Psychiatric Nursing program in any of the nursing schools in Imo state, candidates must meet the following requirements.
- You must be a registered nurse.
- You must meet the admission requirements of the admitting school of Psychiatric Nursing in Nigeria.
- You must be ready to undergo the one-year full training that is involved.
What are the requirements to obtain a Bachelor’s of Nursing Degree?
To obtain the Bachelor’s of Nursing degree in any of the nursing schools in Imo state or Nigeria, which oftentimes is from a university, the applicant must meet the following requirements to be able to enrol.
- Applicants must have at least 5 credits in SSCE especially in English Language, Mathematics and then other science subjects.
- You must be ready to undergo the 5-year schooling that is involved.
- After graduating, the candidate must undergo a compulsory 1-year internship program in a Registered Health Care institution.
Upon graduation, the obtainable certificates or awards include:
Registered Public health Nurse
Registered Psychiatric Nurse
B.Sc in Nursing
What are the requirements for professional Nursing Programs?
Most nursing schools in Imo state and in Nigeria will require the following:
- You must be a registered Nurse/Midwife with at least one year of post-registration (working) experience.
- You must have a current practising license.
- You must meet the admitting school’s requirements.
- The duration for this is one year. However, the Anesthetist Nursing program runs for one year, and six months, which is a total of 18 months.
What are the departments and units of the Holy Rosary Hospital which is popularly known as the School of Nursing Emekuku?
- The Medical Service Departments
- The Nursing Service Department
- The Laboratory Department
- The Pharmacy Department
- The Health Care Unit
- The Training Schools
- The Mortuary and Embalmment Unit
- The Kitchen Unit
What are the Admission Requirements For School of Nursing Emekuku?
- School of Nursing
5 credits in GCE/WAEC/NECO in not more than 2 sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- School of Medical Laboratory Science
5 credits in GCE/WAEC/NECO in not more than 2 sittings to include: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- School of Midwifery
Candidates must have completed Nursing education in an approved school of nursing.
Procedure for obtaining Forms:
Cost of Forms:
- School of Nursing – N14,000.00
- School of Midwifery – N13,500.00
- School of Medical Laboratory Sc. – N9,000.00
School of Nursing: Candidates to pay N14,000.00 into Account No: 2027244188. First Bank Plc; Present the Teller and one Passport to the Hospital School Accounts Office for online registration.
School of Midwifery: Candidates to pay N13,500.00 into Account No: 0004307476, Diamond Bank Plc; present the Teller and one Passport at the Hospital School Accounts office for online registration
School of Medical Laboratory Science: Candidates to pay N9,000.00 Into Account No: 1000271078, United Bank for Africa Plc; present the Teller at the School Accounts Office for online registration.
NOTE: Cost of forms can be changed by the school at any time
Note: (1) Time- 8:00am – 2:00pm (Monday to Friday) to obtain forms (2) Online registration is done
How do I process my Online application and Registration for School of Nursing Emekuku?
Pay the prescribed sum into the Ban
2. Go to the administration block of the school and submit your payment tell and get your official receipt.
3. Collect your scratch from the same place.
4. Come back to the website, (https://www.holyrosaryng.net)
5. Create an account by filling l the form. (Note: Use any password you can easily remember)
6. After creating an account, log in to the website and continue
7. At the left-hand side Click:
- Personal Details
- Fill Personal Profile
- Click Passport Upload and upload your passport
- Click contact, Fill and submit:
- Contact Address
- Next of Kin
8. Click General Qualification
Select, fill and submit O level for first and second sitting where applicable
FOR MIDWIFE CANDIDATES ONLY:
1. Click Midwifery Qualification and select Employment History
2. Click and fill in the following:
- Educational Qualification
- Professional Qualification
3. Then, click Preview and Submit
4. Select Preview Application
5. Select Complete and Print Application
How to Contact School of Nursing Emekuku
Hours: Open 24 hours
Phone: 0703 662 4905
- Best Tuition Free Universities in USA
- 5 Best places to study Abroad
- Fashion design schools in Zimbabwe
- Best fashion and design colleges in Thika, Kenya
- Best computer programming schools in Nigeria
- Cheapest Private University in Nigeria
- IT training centers in Lagos
- Best Aptech Nigeria courses and fees
- Top Fashion schools in Benin City
- 19 Cheap Universities in Canada for International Students
- Best Engineering courses and their Earnings
Nurses need many skills to be successful, not least compassion, stamina, great communication, attention to detail and adaptability.
Choosing to attend any of the nursing schools in Imo state is the right decision but make sure you are convinced that it is what you love.
Strive to improve, go higher, obtain more degrees, so you don’t end up as a local nurse. Don’t attend because others are attending. You must choose to make the best out of it. All the best.
check out: 10+ Top Fashion Schools in Imo State
Was this article on nursing schools in Imo state helpful? please leave a comment below. Call/text 08163993819 for any form of assistance.