“Music is food for the soul”. Music is not just food for the soul music also connects people of different tribes and brings together people of different Nations and ethnicity. If you have a passion for music if you love to express yourself through words and in songs, then you should study music.
If you want to study music and learn music in different indigenous and traditional languages with a touch of western classical music and are clueless about what country to go to that offers all of these?
I’d like to bring to you the list of music schools in Singapore that will offer you that beautiful opportunity to explore the music world.
Singapore is a country that is multi-ethnicity and culture. It does not have any native music but is influenced by Malaysian, Indian, and western classical music and largely by Chinese music.
The List of Music Schools In Singapore
Pursuing a musical career in Singapore opens your world to various genres of music. You have the opportunity to study, learn and explore traditional, western music and all its forms.
According to the latest ranking, Singapore is one of the top locations to study.
Music is one of the most sought-after courses in Singapore as Singapore has 50% of the top 50 university that offers music in the world.
Here is a list of the top music institutions:
- Lasalle College of the arts.
- National University I of Singapore(NUS).
- Republic polytechnic.
- Singapore polytechnic.
- Singapore Raffles Music College
- Nanyang Academy Of Fine Arts(NAFA)
- Nanyang Academy Of Fine Arts(NAFA)
Lasalle College of Arts
La Salle College of Art office offers is a 3-year diploma in music. This course teaches ways to develop instrumental techniques, study music theory and know the history of music.
As part of your education, you will acquire instrumental and vocal techniques, analyze music theories, aural training, sight-reading, and receive regular performance opportunities.
You would also be groomed on how to be a well-developed musician and to be valuable in today’s culture and Singapore’s music industry.
Upon graduation, you will be awarded a diploma certificate. At Lasalle college, you will be taught how to create and interpret your music from the rich historical and cultural context.
The tuition fee is $17,684 yearly.
Admission requirements for international students;
- You must have completed your high school and acquired academic qualifications in Cambridge or GCE O-level or IGCSE.
- If you are applying from Singapore you must have completed the Singapore Integrated program(IP) and obtained a NITECcertificate
- English requirement :
- IELTS score of 5.5.
- TOEFL score of 71 and above.
- PTE academic of 42 and above.
Lasalle College also offers a full-time three years honorary bachelor’s degree in Music Theatre.
This course provides a world-class education for young students and prepares them for professional careers in music, television, film academy, or plays.
It teaches students about the rich historical and cultural context from which you can interpret and create your music. The tuition fee is $18,027 yearly.
- Entry may vary from country to country but s a relevant diploma in the field because this is a level 2 program.
- IELTS score of 6.0
- PTE ACADEMIC 50 and above
- TOFEL score of 80 and above
National University of Singapore (NUS)
NUS is the best educational institute in Asia and one of the best universities in the world. NUS offers both bachelor’s and graduate courses
In 2022, NUS has been ranked 11th by QS world university rankings and 75th in the academic ranking of world universities.
It offers an internationally competitive university degree that is relevant within the industry and a four-year bachelor’s degree in Music with majors in:
- French horn
- Voice competition
This 4-year bachelor’s undergraduate program receive generous support that covers financial cost from the government of Singapore, the Yong Lou Lin Trust and other benefactors.
The tuition fee is $23,481 yearly.
The requirements for international students:
- You must have completed your high school in your country of origin.
- Get a minimum score of 36 in the EL1119 exam.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 with 6.5 in reading and writing.
- MUET score of 240.
- TOEFL score of 92 to 93 in an internet-based exam.
- PTE academic of 62 with 62 in writing and reading components.
- 180 in Cambridge English advanced exam.
Singapore Polytechnic offers a full-time 3-year diploma in music and audio technology program that focuses on the art of creating sound and music combining problems solving methodology with improvisation.
Singapore Polytechnic allows students to get familiar with the industry standard of production.
This course offers a variety of opportunities such as a music manager, music publisher, producer, composer songwriter, music arranger, recording engineer, sound engineer, and media promoter.
In-game developing companies and advertising agencies broadcasting corporations, and music and audio technologist are required because they are part of the operation. The tuition fee is $6,528 yearly.
Requirements for international students.
Applicants must have the following;
- GCE ‘O’ levels.
- Qualification from the Institute of Technology Education with a ‘B’ average, if you have graduated from an Integrated Program(IP) in school in Singapore. English requirements:
- TOFEL score of 550 in a paper-based examination, 213 in a computer-based test, or 79 in an internet-based examination.
- IELTS score an overall minimum of 6.0.
Republic Polytechnic was established in the year 2003 and offers a diploma in sonic arts students gain knowledge from using an extensive range of audio technology equipment, HD software, analog synthesizers, and instruments.
Students should also expect hands-on training and undergo an intensive 16-week internship in a radio station, music studio, and film center.
As a student, you would be taught to know and learn to appreciate and differentiate the various genres of music. The tuition fee is $19,419 yearly.
Requirement for international students:
- O level holders must have English language with grades 1- 7.
- Mathematics with grades 1 -7.
- In addition to any of the following in the following subjects: grades 1-6 in ELR2B2-D.
- NITEC holders must have a GPA equal to or higher than 3.5 in their subjects.
- Higher NITEC holders must GPA equal to or higher than 2.0 in their subjects.
- A level holder must obtain an A-S grade on a general paper.
- Applicants must also obtain an A-E from two other H2 subjects.
- Applicants must have taken the A-level examination while in college.
National Institute Of Education (NTU NIE) Singapore
NTU NIE Singapore offers a two-year full-time and a four-year part-time Master of education in music.
NTU NIE Master’s degree provides specialization in music, especially for those who might be interested in developing a music curriculum for schools and for those who want to go into music education research.
Then in the course of study, students would be taught to understand how technology is used in music and music education.
Finally, to promote your expertise in teaching better, you will select some music skills which are relevant and practical for teaching music in school.
The tuition fee is $18,840 yearly.
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized University.
A year or more relevant work experience in education.TOEFL.IELTS. GRE GATES if you are applying from India.
Scholarship opportunities are also available to new and old students, and these include:
- Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship.
- Nanyang Technological University Research Scholarship.
- Muhammad Ariff Ahmad(MAS) PostGraduate scholarship.
- Poey Quce Doctorate in Education Scholarship.
Scholarships offered by external agencies:
- ECDA ScholarshipLBKM ScholarshipMuslimin Trust Fund
- Association Founders Scholarship
- National Park Board Postgraduate Scholarship.
For those who are interested in furthering their education, NTU offers:
Doctorate of Philosophy in music by research. Teaching music as an O levels subject. Introduction to twentieth-century music.Introduction to music analysis.Essential music writing skills 1.
Singapore Raffles Music College
Singapore Raffles Music College offers a 1-year full-time diploma in music that helps students nurture their potential as musicians. It enlightens youngsters in the basic
knowledge needed for a successful career in the music industry. As a graduate, you will be fully prepared for the Advanced diploma in music course for those who want to further.
The tuition fee is $15,158 yearly.
Applicants must be 16 years and above.3 GCE O levels creditsPass the SRMC audition. Take the SRMC’s Music Theory Placement Test. Any of these English requirements; IELTS score of 45 GCE O level with grade ‘C’ and above in English.SRMC English Placement Test.
There will also be an audition in any of these:
10-12 minutes performance from two contrasting periods.10-12 minutes performance of 3 classical vocal singers.10-12 minutes performance of three contemporary pop songs.
Other courses offered by Singapore Raffles Music College are:
- Foundation degree in music performance.
- Graduate diploma for professional artists.
- Advanced diploma in music.
- Certificate in music.
Nanyang Academy Of Fine Arts(NAFA)
Nanyang Academy Of Fine Arts (NAFA).offers a diploma in music to raise and produce confident and versatile students with adequate knowledge needed to become music writers, composers, or high-level overexposure.
As part of the training, students will be taught theoretically and practically, which helps them develop practical skills to prepare them for the music industry.
Some include health and well-being, technological skills and music career skills.
There is also another opportunity of attending intercultural performances from Chinese and western cultures.
Students also go for teaching practice, industrial training industry projects and immersion projects.
The tuition fee for international students with grants is $10,450 and without grants is $20,500.
For permanent residents, the tuition fee is $7550 and $5710 for Citizens yearly. 1. Academic Requirements:
- GCE A-level
- English Requirements:
- TOEFL IBT
- IELTS Academic or SAT
- 2. NIRC or a Passport.
Besides Singapore’s rich cultural and ethnic history, the music schools in Singapore will kick-start you for a career path in music. What are your thoughts about these music schools in Singapore? Please share your thoughts with us.