Successful studies and excellent grades do not guarantee a scientific degree at all. In order to move to the next level, the applicant needs to prove that they have sufficient scientific experience.
A research thesis is the only sure way to move to the next level of education and this text is made to be your thesis help is taught journey.
Randy Ingremanson is an author who developed a simple method of writing a scientific paper. Randy was an architect of complex scientific projects and, like many authors, experienced severe torment in developing the plots of his own books: it took an extremely long time to prepare for writing.
But the American decision to use a combination of creative and scientific approaches in his work. So a new method, quite popular among writers, was formed.
This method was called “snowflake” and found a lot of feedback not only in the scientific world but also in the literary world, which shows its undoubted effectiveness.
The main idea of “snowflake” is to highlight the main idea, problem, logline, or theme. Then form the guiding rays: the so-called framework of the future work and gradually make additions (small rays).
The basis for the future work, as well as for the “snowflake” will be the selected, agreed upon, and approved topic of the thesis. In the case of difficulties with its formulation, it is worth asking for help from the supervisor. Usually experienced mentors help with the choice of the problem-required research.
The introductory part and the second chapter are used as the main rays of the snowflake. Building up the volume will happen in the final stage of the work because it is necessary to maintain a certain style of narration, consistency, and coherence of the text.
Graduate students are sometimes quite skeptical about the prospect of writing a dissertation. This is due to the banal fear of failing, and difficulties with the choice of research direction. But this is all solvable with some time and more in-depth study of different areas of interest.
The scientific supervisor is interested in the development of the industry under study, so he will help to cope with difficulties. The establishment of a professional relationship between the applicant and mentor will contribute to successful research activity and its registration in a scientific paper. By the way, it is quite common when just the research supervisor needs help in researching their chosen field. In this case, the candidate is offered the topic of the Ph.D. thesis, which is related to the scientific interests of the supervisor.
Once the direction is determined, and the topic is chosen, it is worth moving on to the structure of the dissertation. Practical recommendations for writing
In order to write a quality and correct dissertation, you need to adhere to the following practical recommendations.
- Writing a dissertation implies a clear formulation of the scheme of work, which will be a preparation for the main process of creating a scientific work.
- The author initially needs to determine the main goals and objectives that will be carried out in the research activity.
- It is required to clearly identify the main possibilities of solving the problems that will appear in the process of writing a dissertation for the author of the scientific work.
- It is necessary to make a plan and formulate all the main questions for writing a thesis, only then it is possible to write down the main idea of the scientific work in one sentence (“Message” letter to the reader). The sentence should consist of 20 to 25 words.
- Before writing a dissertation, the author must determine for himself “what he wants to say with his work?”
- The dissertation writing should then be focused on the main goal of the scholarly work, which was determined by the author during the planning stage of the scholarly activity.
- The section “Materials and methods of research” should be written as competently and briefly as possible. The section should indicate only the main points, which describe the research conducted by the author.
- The main problems and issues of scientific work should be formulated before the main research. It is necessary to understand what actions will be required to get answers to the thesis questions.
- To identify the main grounds and results of the scientific work.
Structure of a Candidate’s Thesis
Regardless of the branch of science and the level of scientific work, the thesis includes an introduction, conclusion, bibliography, and, as a rule, at least three chapters. Often a research paper requires a supplement in the form of appendices.
While working on the introduction, it is important to consider several points. It is necessary:
- necessarily indicate the relevance and practical significance of the problem under consideration;
- Analyze the level of development of the topic, and briefly describe it;
- Allocate the main goal and objectives of the research work;
- Do not omit explanations about the object or phenomenon under study;
- briefly outline the methodology of future research;
- indicate the provisions that will be important during the defense of the work;
- the prospects of application of the results and their approbation.
It is the thought-out structure that will allow the applicant in the first year of study to submit the required reports to the department without much trouble. In addition, it will make it much easier to get credit for research work.
In the second semester of the first year, it is sometimes necessary to provide the committee with a dissertation outline. A scientifically sound research paper structure will allow such a plan to be written as quickly as possible.
In some universities, the plan prospectus is provided during the same period when the sample research topic is approved, so you should not procrastinate with the structure of the work.
An author’s abstract will also be necessary, as the preliminary work done will allow the main points of the thesis to be presented as informatively as possible.
Scientific activity implies the constant solution of some or other tasks. And before starting to work on the dissertation there is a goal and tasks, which should be clearly understood and be able to formulate properly.
This allows, not to deviate from the intended course and significantly reduces the time spent on the experimental part. In order to set the goal and objectives as effectively as possible it is necessary to adhere to several rules:
- the goal can be only one and be reflected in the title of the thesis;
- the theme in conjunction with the goal unites the problem and the outcome of the work;
- there is no regulation on the tasks, but still one of them should reflect the problem with the support of already published materials;
- another of the objectives poses a question related to the problem posed;
- the last task reflects the need for practical work.
As it is not difficult to guess, the number of tasks is equal to the number of chapters in scientific work. If there are more tasks, it is worth distributing them evenly throughout the text.
Motivation for Writing a Ph.D. Thesis A Ph.D. thesis is a serious scientific work that shows how competent the applicant is in the world of science.
But this work is not the main determinant of a researcher’s life. Many capable researchers have never undertaken a dissertation, but have left a significant contribution to the scientific world.
And PhDs, though they have research degrees, are far removed from the real needs of people.
It is important to maintain a balance between the effort expended and the result, so as not to be disappointed in the end. Motivation emerges when a scientist sees the main thing in his or her work.
Here are a few sections that are likely to be read by hundreds of colleagues:
- the uniqueness of the research;
- main points;
- publications, own and co-authored: articles, abstracts, tutorials, etc.
Work on your dissertation should be daily and consistent. Getting a degree will not only allow you to fulfill yourself as a scientist, but it will also provide you with essential skills that will be very useful in all areas of life.