BEST UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA
Nigeria is a country with 36 states and 774 local government areas. The National University Commission(NUC) which oversees the tertiary education in Nigeria listed about;
- 44 federal Universities.
- 52 state universities
- 99 private Universities
to be the accredited degree-granting institutions on their website. These 40 federal universities and a host of other teaching hospitals are under the supervision of the NUC while the state government are responsible for the the administration and financing of these state Universities. Therefore there are 195 Universities in Nigeria. I will advice you however to go with me through this journey as I explore the Top 159 best Universities in Nigeria. The rankings were derived from some very Reputable ranking bodies such as 4iCU and the National University commission.(NUC).
I have listed with Details the BEST 10 UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA BY THE NATIONAL UNIVERSITY COMMISSION (NUC)
Best 10 Universities in Nigeria according by the National University Commission(NUC)
List of Best Universities in Nigeria
- University of Ibadan
- Covenant University Ota
- University of Nigeria Nsukka(UNN)
- OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY(OAU)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Lagos(UNILAG)
- Ahmadu Bello University(ABU) Zaria
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- University of Ilorin
- University of Benin
Undoubtedly one of the best Universities in Nigeria. Established in 1948. The University of Ibadan is the first University in Nigeria, It was a College of the University of London and became fully independent in the year 1962. The University which took off in Art, Science and Medicine, is now a comprehensive citadel of learning with academic programs in Sixteen Faculties.
The University has several other academic units and is putting in place a new School of Business(UISB) which is expected to take off early this year. The Universities postgraduate school is well acknowledged within and outside the country as one of the Largest in Africa. Being one of the best, It has 12 halls of residence. Finally to crown it all, it has the best and very strong Alumni.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
- Chinua Achebe
- Femi Adebayo
- Wole Soyinka
- Ken Sari-Wiwa
- Christopher Okigbo
- Emeka Anyaoku
And lots more.
Covenant University as one of the best Universities in Nigeria was approved on January 16, 2002. The University received a License to function as a private University on February 2nd,2002. The University became the first University to be ranked in the top 401 to 500 category of World Universities by Times Higher Education.
The Academic programs of Covenant University runs in four Colleges which Includes:
- The college of Business and Social Sciences
- The college of Leadership development studies
- The college of Engineering
- The College of science and Technology.
IMPORTANT FEATURES AT COVENANT UNIVERSITY
- A fully functioning stadium
- A swimming pool
- Lawn Tennis, Table Tennis, Volley ball and Basket ball Courts
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF COVENANT UNIVERSITY
- Anthonia Adenike Adeniji (associate professor of Industrial relations)
- Dolapo ‘LowlaDee’ Film maker
- Ric Hassani, Musician
- Simi, Lyricist and Sound engineer
- Spellz, Music Producer
and Lots more.
The University of Nigeria Nsukka is one of the best universities in Nigeria Located in Enugu State, Nigeria. It was founded in the yea 1955 by Nnamdi Azikiwe. The University is first autonomous Nigerian University.
In the University spans about 15 faculties and 102 academic departments , offering about 108 undergraduate programs and 211 post graduate program.
Being one the best Universities in Nigeria, Its Electronics Engineering program is one of the sought after programs to study at the University. UNN is the first and only school to have the department of Electronics Engineering as an independent Department.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
- Olu Oguibe
- Patrick Utomi
- Kingsley Moghalu(Former CBN Governor)
- Godwin Emefiele(former CBN Governor)
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie(a writer)
- Chimaroke Nnamani(Politician)
- Chris Nwabueze Ngige(Politician)
- Sulivan Iheanacho Chime(former Governor)
Established in 1962 as the University of Ife before being renamed Obafemi Awolowo University in 1987 in honor of Chief Obaafemi Awolowo who was Nationalist and a politician.
The University is one of the best Universities in Nigeria and has over 13 faculties which offer undergraduate courses. The University has a postgraduate school and a number of institutes.
The University has a vibrant sports Centre providing indoor and outdoor sports which ranks it among the best.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF OAU
- Oladapo Afolabi(former head of Civil Service)
- Jimi Agbaje( Governorship candidate of Lagos State)
- Fidelis Oyakhilome(Former Governor of River state)
- Ibukun Awosika(Chairman, First Bank Nigeria)
- Dele Momodu( Businessman)
- Femi Otedola(Nigerian Oil Billionaire)
- Fireboy DML
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye. etc
The University was founded in the year 1983. It is one of the best Universities in Nigeria whose vision is to train a skilled and innovative work force that would transform Nigeria’s natural recourses into goods and services driven by ICT. The University has 10 schools as well as several Centers. It has affiliations with the Federal college of Education Akoka.
In line with student’s fitness, the University has floodlit sports arena, a 9-hole golf course and a students recreation centre.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF FUTMINNA
- Daniel Etim Effiong, Actor and filmmaker
- Kemi Adesoye, Screenwriter
- Arch Dooshima Yemisi Suswam
The University of Lagos is not just one of the best Universities in Nigeria, But also is among the first five generation Universities in Nigeria.
Currently, UNILAG admits about 9000 undergraduates annually and has about 57,000 enrolled students.
The University was founded in 1962 and has remained one of the most competitive in the country in terms of admissions. In fact in recent rankings, it is ranked as the 3rd best in Africa.
UNILAG is a university with several faculties, several affiliate institutes and colleges.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS
- Yemi Osibanjo( Vice president)
- Wole Soyinka
- Wale Adenuga(Film producer)
- Enoch Adeboye(Clergy man)
- Yemi Alade(singer)
- Reekado Banks(singer)
- Femi gbajabiamila(lawmaker)
- Seyi Makinde(Governor of Oyo state)
- Lai Mohamed(Minister of Information)
- Genevieve Nnnaji(Actress)
- Ikedi Ohakim
- Omoyele Sowore( founder Sahara reporters)
ABU is a government research University, rated as one of the best universities in Nigeria founded on 4th October 1962. It was named after the Saraduana of Sokoto who was the first Premier of the Northern Nigeria.
The University runs a a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. It’s University Teaching Hospital is one of the Largest teaching hospitals in Nigeria and Africa.
The University has 13 faculties
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF ABU
- Atiku Abubakar(former vice president)
- Yahaya Bello(kogi state Governor)
- Oladipo Diya(Former vice president )
- Sanusi Lamido(Former Central Bank Governor)
- Dino Melaye(Senator)
- Namadi Sambo(former vice president) etc
The Federal University of Agriculture was established on January 1, 1988. Starting off from the old campus of Abeokkuta Grammar school, Isale-Igbein which is near the city Centre.
Not only being among the best universities in Nigeria, the University is among the three Universities of Agriculture in Nigeria.
In the year 2002 and 2003, the University was awarded the best University in Nigeria by NUC.
The University has 179 acadmic programs which comprises of 44 undergraduate programs and 135 graduate programs. The graduate programs consequently involves @@ post graduate diploa programmes and 57 masters degree programmes and 56 doctoral degree programs.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF FUNAAB
- Fisayo Ajisola
- Kizz Daniel
- Jumoke Odetola
- Japheth J.Oojuwa
- Oluseun Onigbinde
University of Ilorin; one of the best Universities in Nigeria was Established under the Decree of the Federal Military Government in the year 1975. The institution was established to implement one of the educational directives of the Third National Development Plan which was put in place in order to provide more opportunities for individuals who are seeking to acquire higher education. So far it has grown to be one of the best Universities in Nigeria and compared to other Universities and college of education, the University has one of the largest Landmass.
The University started off as an affiliate of the University of Ibadan.
Currently, the University has 15 faculties and so many departments , over 60 of them. Their undergraduate degree programme run between 3 to5 years depending on the programme of choice.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN
- Nkem Owoh(comedian)
- Is-haq Oloyede(Jamb Registrar)
- Femi Adebayo(actor)
- Temi Olajide etc
The University of Benin was founded in the year 1970. It started as an Institute of Technology and was accorded the Status of a full Fledged University by National University Commission on the first of July 1971. The University at the request of the State Government was taken over by the Federal Government and it became a federal University.
Admission at UNIBEN ranges between 90 to 100. This not only makes it one of the best universities in Nigeria but also selective. IT is Located in Benin City in Edo. which roughly inhabits about 1 million to 5 million people.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF UNIBEN
- James Ibori(Governor of Delta state)
- Sabina Umeh(singer)
- Oladipo Agboluaje(actor)
- Lota Chukwu(Actress)
- Babatunde Fashola(Lagos state former Governor)
- Basket Mouth(comedian) etc.
Having Listed the 160 best Universities in Nigeria, you will recall that I mentioned that NUC listed:
- 44 Federal Universities
- 52 State Universities and
- 99 Private Universities.
I will go further in this post to list the According to their ranks. This is to enable you make necessary Decisions.
TOP 20 BEST STATE UNIVERSITY BY NUC
Having gone through the best universities in Nigeria list you should know that there are 52 Accredited State Universities in Nigeria. Here are the top 20 best state Universities in Nigeria.
- Lagos State University
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Delta State University
- Ambrose Ali University
- Adekunle Ajasin University
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- Ekiti State University
- Kogi State University
- Niger Delta University
- Osun State University
- Kwara State University
- Enugu State University Of Science and Technology
- Benue State University
- Kaduna State University
- Imo State University
- Abia State University
- Ebonyi State University
- Nassarawa State University
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology
TOP 20 BEST PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA BY NUC
There are currently 99 private Universities in Nigeria but here is the list of top 20 private Universities in Nigeria.
- Covenant University
- Landmark University
- Redeemer’s University
- American University Of Nigeria
- African University of Science and Technology Abuja
- Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti
- Babcock Univesity
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Bowen University
- Igbinedion University
- Josepgh Ayo Babalola University
- Fountain University Osogbo
- Ajayi Crowther University Oyo
- Adeleke University Ede
- Pan-Atlantic University Lagos
- Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University
- Elizade University Ilara Mokin
- Al-Hikim University, Ilorin
- Lead City University Ibadan