Grenada is a very charming country that is located in the Caribbean Sea. It is a country that is popular for its coastal beaches and its architecture. Above all, it is known to be one of the friendliest countries to visit.
When it comes to medical schools in Grenada, the modern infrastructure, well-equipped laboratories, low course fees, and clinical exposure makes the country a destination for studying medicine.
If you have plans of studying and practicing medicine in Grenada, then you must read on to find out the best medical schools in Grenada.
About Studying in Grenada
Grenada is home to the most popular medical school called St George University. This university is located in the True Blue region of Grenada. Grenada is a British-Commonwealth nation consisting of three islands (Grenada, Carriacou, and Petite Martinique) in the Caribbean Sea.
For decades, its medical school in Grenada has been one of the most popular and well-regarded institutions in the Caribbean for foreigners studying abroad.
Grenada’s beautiful and varied tropical landscape and its rich French and English colonial history offer students from around the world an opportunity for a unique cultural exchange while they pursue their degrees.
Grenada’s public education is modeled largely after the British system and includes 184 schools; however, the island has only two schools of higher education.
The first is the T.A. Marryshow Community College, a public college that exists to advance the development of Grenada and its citizenry.
The second is St. George’s University, a private school that serves mostly foreign medical students.
Although St. George’s University was established as a medical school, in recent years its programs of study have been expanded to include:
- School of Medicine
- School of Arts and Sciences
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Graduate Studies programs (including MBAs in Health Management and International Business)
When it comes to tourism, Grenada has a booming tourism and hospitality industry, and those students who choose to study on its islands will enjoy access to the same natural wonders and recreational activities that have over the years been drawing admirers from around the globe.
Beaches, mountains, and rainforests are all found on the main island. Grenada is also a short travel distance by plane or boat to the rest of the Caribbean, as well as South America.
Grenada uses for currency the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, which is tied to the US dollar at 1 USD = 2.67 EC. (A good way to remember the conversion is that $5.00 EC equals approximately $2.00 USD as of the time of this publication.)
Most businesses will accept American dollars for purchases but return change in Eastern Caribbean dollars.
ATMs are available across the island and allow per diem withdrawals of between $1,000 and $3,000 EC. Students who intend to stay for extended periods of time are encouraged to open a local bank account.
With budget activities being frequent, Granada is very friendly to its students. Students will be able to enjoy free tapas whenever they order a drink in an authentic tapas bar.
Those who wish to relax or even study in a peaceful place should check out Parque Carmen de los Mártires, Granada’s perfect getaway spot. It’s completely free and open to anyone.
Students are also able to take advantage of their student discount and enjoy many of Granada’s museums.
Perfect for art students with a creative block! Some of Granada’s most famous museums include The Science Park, Palacio de los Olvidados and Museo Cuevas del Sacromonte.
The Best Medical Schools in Grenada
Grenada is home to the most popular medical school called St George University.
St George University was established in the year 1976 and since then, the university has grown to become a famous choice for international students and most importantly, one of the most diverse universities in the Caribbean.
With over 22,000 medical residents from 140 countries who are practicing in countries like the USA and UK, St George University remains one of the best countries for starting international medical career students.
The university offers degrees in medicine, veterinary science, sciences, public health, business, and arts.
St George University is the only medical college in the land of spices, it is a globally recognized university and is known for imparting quality education and its low tuition fee rate.
As a private university, it offers multiple entry points like a 4-year, 5-years, 6-years, and 7-year MD program in Grenada with an opportunity to practice in leading institutes in countries like the UK, Canada, and the USA.
Their five-year medical degree program has been designed specifically for students with Advanced Level or International Baccalaureate credentials who wish to become a doctor.
This course helps students in building on an existing academic background in science with entry-level medical degree coursework.
St. George’s University School Of Medicine
Founded as an independent School of Medicine in 1976, St. George’s University has evolved into a center of international medical education, drawing med school and MD program students, alumni, and faculty from over 150 countries to the island of Grenada
The MD program at SGU is accredited and/or approved by many external regulatory and accrediting bodies, including:
- The Grenada Medical and Dental Council, Ministry of Health of the Government of Grenada
- The New York State Education Department
- The New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners
- The Medical Board of California
- Licensed by the Florida Commission on Independent Education
- The US Department of Education’s National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation has deemed the Grenada Medical and Dental Council’s accreditation standards to be comparable to those used in the United States.
Comparability of accreditation standards is a major component necessary to allow MD students at SGUSOM to qualify for government-sponsored loans.
MD Program Curriculum And Format
St. George’s University’s MD program has multiple entry points.
- They offer a traditional four-year MD program for students entering with a bachelor’s degree, as well as preclinical programs that lead into our four-year med school program.
The first two years of the Four-Year MD Program concentrate on the traditional basic science disciplines on the True Blue campus in Grenada, the Caribbean.
The final two years focus on clinical sciences, with training at SGU’s clinical centers and affiliated hospitals in the United States, United Kingdom, and Grenada.
- The five-, six- and seven-year MD pathways include coursework designed to prepare their students for medical school.
- Their medical school students have an opportunity to learn medicine in some of the best and most well-known hospitals in the world.
- Clinical studies include core rotations, sub-internships, primary care, and elective rotations.
Find out more.
- US residency placement rate for graduates over the last three years: 93%
- School of Medicine graduates who have entered the global healthcare system: 20k
- USMLE Step 1 pass rate for first-time test-takers over the last three years:92%
- USMLE Step 2CK pass rate for first-time test-takers over the last three years: 92%
How Much Is Medical School At SGU?
- Total Cost for Basic Sciences (Terms 1, 2 3/4 & 5): $152,613
Clinical Cost (Terms 1, 2 3/4 & 5): $331,978
- Get full details here.
Tie-Ups of St. George’s University
The hospitals below have tie-ups with St. George’s University:
- Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, California
- Jersey City Medical Center, New Jersey
- The Brooklyn Hospital Center, New York
- Larkin Community Hospital, Florida
- Hackensack University Medical Center, New Jersey
- Coney Island Hospital, New York
St. George’s University: School Of Veterinary Medicine
SGU’s School of Veterinary Medicine is one of the few schools in the world accredited by both the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA COE) in the United States and Canada, as well as the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) in the UK.
Check out other academic programs.
Courses and Duration
The total duration of the general MBBS course from Grenada medical university is 5 years and that includes 5 years of classroom training and practical training in a hospital that is affiliated with the university.
SGU is affiliated with nearly 70 accredited Teaching hospitals in the USA, Canada, UK, etc.
Requirements to Study Medicine in Grenada
Below are the benefits of studying medicine in Grenada for students:
- TOEFL or IELTS is not needed for admission to study medicine in Grenada.
- It is approved by The Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-H).
- It is accredited by the US Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
- Low cost of living in Grenada.
- Good accessibility and studying environment in Grenada.
- Only the MCAT is required for admission to study medicine in Grenada.
To be eligible to study medicine in Grenada, take note of the following requirements:
- Candidates must be of 17 years of age on or before 31st December of the year in which the admission is being taken.
- Most importantly, candidates must have cleared MCAT.
- The candidate must have qualified for the NEET exam with the minimum qualifying marks so that he/she becomes eligible for admission into St George’s medical university.
- Candidates must have cleared the 10+2 exam with a minimum of 80% marks in Physics, Biology, and Chemistry for the general category
The Step-Wise Admission Process
Below is a step-wise process to studying medicine in Grenada:
1] Application has to be filled correctly without mistakes. The applicant has to visit the official website of the university to have access to the application.
2] The student receives the application form afterward and if the student is selected, He/She will then receive an acceptance letter from that university.
3] The student has to also pay the admission fee once the form has been filled.
4] After completing the application process, students can then apply for a visa along with the necessary documents.
5] After all the checking and interviews are over, the applicant will be able to receive his/her visa.
Studying Medicine in Grenada Cost
The cost of living and studying in Grenada is comparatively more affordable than in most study destinations. The tuition fee in Granada for 5 years program is $318,640.
Scholarships for Medicine in Grenada
There are Humanitarian Scholarships for partial tuition and are given to students who have community-based humanitarian experiences within the last five years.
The Chancellor’s Circle Legacy Of Excellence Scholarship (CCLOE) with an award of $94,500 for students with a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.7, a 3.5 science GPA, and a 506 MCAT score.
Legacy Of Excellence Scholarship (LOE) is awarded up to $70,000 for students who demonstrate academic excellence in their undergraduate studies and strong graduate studies and post-bac performances.
Things to Note:
NEET is mandatory for all students who wish to study Medicine in any country abroad, Grenada inclusive.
Studying Medicine in Grenada is of 5 years duration.
The official language of Grenada is English and hence the medium of instruction in Grenada Universities is also English.