To pursue a Medical degree in Boston is an extraordinary choice, as Boston is one of the most sought-after urban areas in the US.
The city of Boston is a medical care pioneer, with more than 20 emergency clinics satisfying different clinical requirements.
What’s more, three of the country’s most esteemed medical schools are situated inside a 5-mile span of the memorable city.
Medical Schools in Boston are profoundly selective, drawing from progressively skilled and talented candidate pools consistently.
There are four medical schools in Boston, three of which rank in the top fifty for research by US News and World Report; Harvard Medical School, Boston University and University of Massachusetts-Worcester.
In this article, you will find out about these medical schools in Boston as well as their programs offered, then go through the requirements for admission into these Medical schools.
The List of Medical Schools in Boston
Medical schools in Boston have been broadly engaged with research, so if you need a research-oriented atmosphere to enhance your medical career, Boston is a state worth trying out.
Boston University – Medical Campus
Boston University Medical School is a medical school in Boston that is renowned for the quality of teaching and research and service to the community.
The school provides education and training in the most current techniques in medical fields, with full-and part-time, affiliate and volunteer faculty members, who are leading experts in their fields.
The Boston University Medical Campus has a rich history dating back to 1848 when it began as the New England Female Medical College, the first institution in the United States to offer medical education to women and the first to graduate a black female physician.
In 1873, the medical college merged with Boston University, becoming the first coeducational School of Medicine in the nation.
Boston University Medical School Campus (BUMC), is located in the historic South End of Boston.
The Campus includes Boston Medical Center, the primary teaching affiliate of the School of Medicine, and the Solomon Carter Fuller Mental Health Center, a state mental health facility.
The core mission of the Campus is to train the next generation of physicians, dentists and scientists.
Boston University provides today’s health sciences students with distinguished and committed faculty, thoughtful and humanistic mentoring, state-of-the-art learning facilities, and clinical experiences in one of New England’s most respected teaching hospitals, Boston Medical Center (BMC), as well as in other locations in the Boston area and internationally.
They strive to remain committed to providing future doctors, dentists, scientists, and public health professionals with an outstanding education in both science and humanism.
The Boston University Medical Campus comprises
- The School of Medicine and Graduate Medical Sciences
- School of Public Health
- Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine.
Nearly 2,800 faculty provide 3,729 full-and part-time students with education and training with a focus on underserved and indigent populations.
Requirements for Boston University – Medical School
- Prerequisites Coursework
BUSM asks applicants to demonstrate competency by completing college-level coursework in the following subject areas:
• English Composition or Literature (or other writing intensive course(s) ) – 1 year
• Humanities – 1 year
• Biological Sciences including Lab work – 1 Year
• Chemistry including Lab work – 2 Years
• Physics – 1 Year
- Coursework in Mathematics (particularly statistics), Biochemistry, Social and Behavioral Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology), Genetics, and Molecular Biology is important. As a guideline, students typically take two semesters each of English, biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, mathematics, and social sciences.
- Bachelor’s Degree
Applicants are expected to earn a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university that is located in and accredited in the U.S. or Canada.
-Applicants who have not graduated from an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution, but who completed a minimum of two (2) years in such an institution, including all of the prerequisites, may be considered to be eligible and should bring the details of their record to the attention of the Committee on Admissions.
-Applicants currently enrolled in a professional or graduate school program must be in the terminal year of the degree program to be considered for admission to the first year class and all applicants are expected to complete any academic program in which they are enrolled at any time during the application process.
Individuals who have previously matriculated at another medical school are not eligible to apply to BUSM.
Boston University School of Medicine does not have any slots available for advanced standing in the second or third classes.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Institutional Action Letters
- MCAT & CASPer Tests
- Final Official Transcripts
- Technical Standards
- Address: Boston University School of Medicine, 72 East Concord St. Boston, MA 02118
- Learn more by visiting the school websites
Harvard University – Medical School
Harvard University – Medical School is committed to convening and nurturing a diverse community of individuals dedicated to promoting excellence and leadership in medicine and science through education, research, clinical care and service.
Harvard Medical School’s educational programs have a core mission to alleviate human suffering by nurturing a diverse group of leaders and future leaders in both clinical care and biomedical inquiry.
At Harvard, the #1 medical school for research According to The U.S. News, students are at the forefront of technological and biomedical research.
- Medical (MD)
- Master’s Degree Programs
- PhD Degree Programs
- HMX Online
- individuals and populations locally, nationally, and globally.
Eligibility Requirements for Harvard Medical School
The HMS Faculty of Medicine accepts applications from current students in good standing and graduates of accredited colleges who:
- Present evidence that their intellectual and personal credentials are of such quality as to predict success in the study and practice of medicine
- Demonstrate aptitude in the biological and physical sciences during their undergraduate years, but not to the exclusion of the humanities and social sciences
- Supplemented their education with at least one year of college or university training in the United States or Canada if they have completed academic work outside the United States or Canada.
Foreign students who do not have a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an institution in the United States or Canada are rarely accepted for admission.
- Demonstrate fluency and nuanced facility in English, as effective communication among the medical care team and between physicians and patients is crucial to the delivery of care
- Students are required to complete at least three years of college work and a baccalaureate degree before matriculation.
- In addition, students must complete all required prerequisite coursework before matriculation.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who have been enrolled in medical school are ineligible to apply for admission to the first-year class.
Students who have applied for admission to HMS on two prior occasions also are ineligible. HMS does not accept transfer students.
- Address: 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115
- Phone: 617-432-1000
- Visit the school’s Website for more details.
Tufts University- School of Medicine
Through a humanistic medical education grounded in compassionate care, students prepare to become outstanding clinicians and public health professionals, distinguished by the highest level of clinical skills, compassion for those they serve, and dedication to service and lifelong learning.
Tufts is an open, collaborative environment where creative and curious individuals can thrive. Across our colleges and schools, students and faculty work together to ask bold questions—and develop even bolder answers.
- Doctor Of Medicine
- Doctor Of Physical Therapy
- Master Of Science In Biomedical Sciences
- Physician Assistant
- Anatomical Gift Program
- Master Of Public Health -online
- Master In Health Informatics And Analytics
- Online MS in Health Informatics & Analytics
Eligibility Requirements for Harvard Medical School
The selection of applicants for admission into the MD Program is based not only on performance in the required premedical courses but also on the applicant’s entire academic record and extracurricular experiences.
Letters of recommendation and information supplied by the applicant are reviewed for indications of promise and suitability for a medical career.
Applicants must complete all degree programs they are enrolled in (undergraduate and all other) by the time of matriculation.
Preference is given to applicants who will earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university before medical school.
- Undergraduates with any majors are welcome to apply, provided they meet the course prerequisites and satisfy the Technical Standards. Candidates with non-traditional backgrounds are also welcomed
- Provide MCAT Scores: Nearly all U.S. medical schools require applicants to submit MCAT scores. Tufts School of Medicine applicants must take the Medical College Admissions Test within five years preceding enrollment.
- Complete the AMCAS Application: Applicants must complete and submit the online application of the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- Complete Tufts School of Medicine Secondary Application: Applicants must complete a Secondary Application (Tufts School of Medicine does not disqualify any applicants at this stage.)
The application requires you to submit letters of recommendation and a $130 application fee. (The $130 application fee is waived for any applicant who has received an AMCAS fee waiver).
Click here to get Financial Aid and Tuition And Fees full details.
- Address: 136 Harrison Avenue Boston, MA 02111
- Phone 617-636-7000 / 617-432-1000 / 617-636-6571
- Email: [email protected]
Visit their Website
University Of Massachusetts – Chan Medical School
The UMass Chan Medical School is the commonwealth’s first and only public academic health sciences center.
Its mission is to advance the health and wellness of diverse communities throughout the world by leading and innovating in education, research, health care delivery and public service.
The school aims to prepare graduates to be caring, competent, and productive physicians serving a diversity of patients and communities.
Whether a student plans to practice in primary care or pursue subspecialty training, the four-year educational program at UMass Chan is designed to develop the foundational competencies required of all physicians.
The school’s curriculum emphasizes early patient care exposure from the first weeks of medical school to help students develop strong clinical skills in communication, clinical problem solving and professionalism.
Students are encouraged to engage in student activism, service, and advocacy within the community.
Courses and clerkships are continuously reviewed to keep pace with the rapidly changing science of medicine, and the evolving standards of professional medical practice.
- School Of Medicine
- School Of Biomedical Sciences
- Graduate Medical Education
- Graduate School Of Nursing
UMass Chan is a world-class research institution, consistently producing noteworthy advances in clinical and basic research. Click here to know UMass admission requirements.
Click here for tuition, fees, and financial aid details.
- Address: Chan School of Medicine • 55 Lake Ave North Worcester, Massachusetts 01655
- Phone: 508-856-2323
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Click here to visit the Website.
What is the tuition for Boston University School of Medicine?
Tuition for Boston University -School Of Medicine ranges from $85,465 to $100,934 depending on the program type and duration.
These estimates are for graduate international students studying at the Boston University Medical Campus during the 2022/2023 academic year.
Some academic programs require additional fees; please check with the school’s academic program to determine if additional fees will apply. Please keep in mind that the figures for living expenses are estimates.
Is Boston Good for Medical school?
Boston is a well-known place for medical school candidates. With three medical schools situated in the core of Boston, they provide a chance to connect with different students and to team up with doctor pioneers.
Boston University is ranked No. 32 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 36 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.
How to Get Accepted Into A Medical School In Boston
Getting into a top-tier med school, like those described in this article, is challenging to say the least. You can go through this article or visit the school’s websites to find out more.
Getting into top-tier Medical Schools in Boston, like those described in this article, is challenging to say the least. Boston’s medical schools and teaching hospitals educate tomorrow’s doctors and prepare them to meet society’s evolving health needs.
These individuals are on the front lines of medicine and science serving individuals and populations locally, nationally, and globally.