Health and wellness are desired by every human and this can be achieved through the active pursuit of good health practices.
A well-educated and trained healthcare system is important to achieving outstanding health and wellness in every society.
Nurses are healthcare specialists whose services are important to healthcare and every aspiring healthcare expert has the chance to succeed in their career.
So If you are considering nursing as a career choice in Houston, you can discover some of the best nursing schools in Houston in this article.
The needs of nurses cannot be overemphasized. Nurses advance the quality of human life by improving the diagnosis, medication, and prevention of illness and injury, in individual health and community well-being.
Duties Or Roles Of Nurses
For a healthcare professional to be well educated, he/she must possess sound knowledge of physical sciences, social sciences, and other medically inclined fundamentals.
Just like every other Medical and healthcare Career;
- Nurses promote health
- Prevent illness
- Care for patients who are suffering.
- Provide treatment for response to illness.
- Improve the health of individuals, families, communities, and populations, and more.
- Help to build an effective relationship with patients and facilitate their healing.
Nurses need to speak articulately, write clearly, reason well, and make good decisions.
Is Houston good for Nursing Programs?
Yes, Houston is a good place to study and practice your career in nursing. Some reasons include:
- Tuition is affordable, and students can be placed on scholarships and financial aids.
- Convenient class schedule and academic calendars.
- Excellent academic teams and faculties in medical institutions.
As a nursing student in Houston, you will get a complete clinical experience and learn from the best medical professionals inside the Texas Medical Center and community agencies.
How long does it take to become a nurse in Houston Texas?
It takes at least 2-4 years to become a licensed nurse in Texas. Completing an ADN (Associate Degree in Nursing ) to prepare for the (The National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses) NCLEX-RN takes a minimum of two years; a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) program typically takes at least four years.
Requirement For Nursing In Houston, Texas
Below are some requirements to practice nursing in Houston, Texas.
- Earn a degree in nursing from an accredited nursing school: This could be an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
- Take the NCLEX- RN (National Council Licensure Examinations) exam: Write and pass this exam to receive a Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure. Firstly apply to the texas board of nursing for authorization to take this test.
- Apply for jobs at local hospitals.
- Get a career advancement by seeking for a Graduate Degree or Certification: This could be a master of science in Nursing or a Doctor in Nursing Practice and more.
- Maintain and renew your certifications and Licensure: In Texas, nurses renew license every two years.
Nursing Schools in Houston
Nursing education costs vary among institutions ranging between $2,560 and $58,880 and maybe even more on tuition, books, supplies, and fees.
1. UTHealth Houston (Cizik School Of Nursing)
UTHealth Houston is a resource for health care education and scientific discovery. As one of the nation’s most comprehensive academic health centers, they offer excellence in patient care and rank in the top four universities in Texas in terms of total NIH funding.
They model as one of the best practices in clinical care and public health and also specialize in educating and training health care providers.
UTHealth is known for delivering outstanding patient care and enhancing community health in Houston and beyond.
They engage their students in Information Sessions, Webinars, and Campus Tours.
Academic Programs Include:
- Pacesetter BSN
- RN BRIDGE PROGRAMS
GRADUATE (MSN AND POST-GRADUATE)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Adult/Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency/Trauma Care (Post-Graduate only)
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Education
- Nursing Leadership
- Psychiatric Mental Health
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
You can check out more on their Academic Programs Overview (https://nursing.uth.edu/prospstudent/)
Tuition and Expenses:
Estimated Student Expenses:
- Address: 6901 Bertner Avenue, Houston, Texas 77030-3901
- Phone: 713-500-2100
- Fax: 713-500-2107
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.nursing.uth.edu
2. Chamberlain University
Chamberlain University has a 130-year record of educating remarkable healthcare experts.
They offer a great experience in academic study and-site clinical settings. Students get to work with colleagues, faculty mentors, and professional registered nurses.
Students are also given the chance to practice fundamental nursing skills as they learn skills in direct patient care nursing.
At Chamberlain University costs vary by student depending on individual constraints. For detailed information about tuition and expenses view the Total Cost Calculations and the Tuition & Expenses Grid PDFs.
College of Nursing:
Tuition & Expenses Grid – Nursing (PDF)
Total Cost Calculations – Nursing (PDF)
College of Health Professions:
Tuition & Expenses Grid – Health Professions (PDF)
Total Cost Calculations – Health Professions (PDF)
- (Houston Campus Contact Information)
- Address11025 Equity Drive, Houston, TX 77041
- Toll-Free 877.751.5783
- Website: www.chamberlain.com
3. HBU Houston Baptist University
Nursing students at Houston Baptist University do not just deceive classes, but also individual attention and high-tech support for improved education.
Qualified and experienced faculty members guide students to learn the latest nursing skills and even more under supervision.
Houston Baptist University offers outstanding academic degree programs for undergraduate Nursing majors and graduate Nursing students who want to advance their careers. These include:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Honors (BSN)
- Nursing RN to BSN program (BSN)
- Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Tuition and Aid: https://hbu.edu/tuition-aid/
- Address: School of Nursing and Allied Health.Houston Baptist University,7502 Fondren Road, Houston TX 77074-3298.
- Phone: (281) 649-3300
4. University Of Saint Thomas
At the University of St. Thomas Houston Nursing school, they are focused on holistic nursing. This is a form of nursing that engages with a patient’s body, mind ,and spirit to care for the whole person.
UST’s School of Nursing offers undergraduate and graduate nursing degrees, with on-campus and online learning opportunities.
Degrees and Programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
- RN-to-MSN (Associate Degree Graduates)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Post-APRN and Post-Master’s Certificate for PMHNP
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Address:3800 Montrose Blvd.Houston, TX 77006
- Main: 713-522-7911, 713-313-6067
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.stthom.edu
5. Vocational Nursing School
This is one of the nursing schools in Houston whose program of study includes classroom and clinical instruction in the following areas: growth and development, vocational nursing concepts, basic nursing skills, pharmacology, medication administration, clinical practical training, nutrition, geriatrics, medical/surgical nursing, pediatrics, disease control, and prevention, maternal/neonatal nursing, mental health nursing, and leadership and professional development.
Some Programs Include:
- Anatomy and Physiology Course,
- Basic Human Body Course
At VNS, meeting all of the program application requirements does not warrant admittance, the school uses a scoring calculation to determine who to receive for enrollment.
VNI does not issue I-20s or accept international students, because it has not been SEVIS certified and approved.
- Address:11201 Steeplepark Dr, Houston, TX 77065, United States
- Phone: 832-237-2525
- Fax: 832-218-0743
6. BellTech Career Institute
Bell Tech Career Institute, Inc. was founded in Fall 2002 with the name, Bell Tech Training School in Houston, Texas, USA.
They have been devoted to delivering the best educational services available to the members of the community, since its inception.
All programs are designed to prepare individuals for the demands of today’s workforce in the healthcare field.
BTCI was accredited by the Accrediting Bureau Of Health Education Schools (ABHES) in October 2019.
The vocational nursing programs, as offered by Bell Tech Career Institute, Inc. (BTCI), are approved and regulated by Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), Career Schools and Colleges, Austin, Texas.
- Address: 12000 Richmond Ave, Suite 130 Houston, TX 77082
- Phone: 713) 636-2659
- (832) 770-0750
- Website: www.belltechcareerinstiture.com
7. National American University
National American University provides creative learning experiences in a caring and supportive environment for individuals of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
National American universities have had a good history of giving quality higher education for eight decades now.
They have been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (www.hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Tuition and fees:
NAU is devoted to college affordability for all students. That’s why they also offer the comfort of online learning— so students can learn while you earn—and lower tuition rates and more:
- Address:5301 Mt. Rushmore Road
- Rapid City, SD 57701
- Website: www.national.edu
8. University Of Houston Downtown
A degree in Nursing from UHD prepares students for a variety of careers in healthcare. Career paths include nursing care, management, teaching, and community service careers in local, state, and federal healthcare settings.
Nursing Degrees at UHD offer students a good educational foundation in nursing, and also provide the skills necessary for any healthcare setting.
Students are strongly encouraged to participate in undergraduate research as part of their educational experience.
Tuition and fees: (https://www.uhd.edu/student-resources/cashiers/Pages/cashiers-tuition-fees.aspx)
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Joint Master’s
- Address:University of Houston-Downtown RN to BSN Program, One Main Street, N725G, Houston, TX 77002.
- Phone number:713-221-5700
- Website: www.uhd.edu
9. Nursing Bridges Institute
Nursing Bridges Institute educates and inspires the next generation of healthcare experts to become scientists and humanitarians who are compassionate about their skills.
They also accept responsibility for the personal and professional development of students.
This school has a Certificate of Approval from the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). The TWC-assigned school number is S 3392.
The school’s programs are approved by TWC, as well as theTexas Department of Health and Human Services.
You can get more information such as costs, requirements, and more on their website.
- Address: 14423 Cornerstone Village Dr., Houston TX 77014-1206, United States
- Phone number: 281-856-0405
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.nursingbridgeshouston.com
10. Texas Health School
Texas Health School was established in Houston in 2002 to provide specialized training programs needed to address the increasing demand for skilled healthcare professionals.
The school is designed to provide an optimum learning environment for students with adequate facilities.
Texas Health School promotes equal opportunity and fair treatment for admission to, and access to its programs and activities to all persons.
- Address:11511 Katy Freeway Suite 200 Houston, Texas 77079
- Phone: 713.932.9333 | Fax: 713.932.0313
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.ths.edu
11. HCC Coleman College
HCC Coleman College for Health Sciences was founded in 2004. They offer associate degrees and certificates in over 20 health science fields.
As a member institution of the Texas Medical Center, Coleman College provides its students unsurpassed access to world-renown health science resources.
The Houston Community College System is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- Address:1900 Pressler Street, Houston, TX 77030
- Phone: 713.718.7400
12. College Of Healthcare Professionals
The College of Healthcare Professions (CHCP), helps students achieve their healthcare career goals.
They offer a host of certificate programs, including:
- Dental Assistant
- Limited Medical Radiologic Technologies (LMRT) with MA Skills
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing and
- Vocational Nursing
They can also help you take your education and your career to the next level with Associate of Applied Science degrees in Cardiac Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Nursing (LVN to RN), and Surgical Technology.
- Address:12230 Northwest Frwy, Houston, TX 77092
- Phone:(713) 425-3100
- Website: www.chcp.edu
13. SmithWood Medical Institute
At Smith wood, they offer students real-world experience in the medical arena with professional work environments.
They also offer job assistance with partnering medical entities and very affordable tuition.
At Smithwood Medical Institute, they want all students to have access to equal education. That’s why they have a wide range of financial aid available.
Payment plans are available to each student. Visit their site for more info.
- Address:7100 Regency Square Blvd, Ste #210, Houston, Tx 77036
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.smithwoodmedical.com
Have you been thinking about pursuing a career where you can make a real difference in the lives of others? Then nursing might just be the right option for you.
Qualified and certified medical and healthcare professionals are highly valued by local care facilities, hospitals, and clinics in Houston.