Oxford has a lot to offer aspiring business professionals. The city is known for its academic rigor and offers many opportunities to study at one of its top business schools.
These are not just any old business schools either, but prestigious universities that have produced some of the finest minds in the world.
Here is our list of top business schools in Oxford.
Overview of Business Schools in Oxford, UK
Oxford is a city in the UK that has earned its reputation as one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Europe. It’s known for its high quality of education, and it holds many prestigious universities.
Oxford University is one of those universities, which makes it easy for students to get into business school there if they have a good GPA from their undergraduate degree.
There are also many other top business schools in Oxford that offer excellent programs with strong connections to local businesses and industries.
These connections make it easier for graduates to find jobs when they graduate from these schools, so they can get started on their careers sooner than most other graduates who attended lower-ranked schools without such connections.
List of Business Schools in Oxford
Oxford has got some really impressive business schools. Without a single doubt, Saïd Business School tops this list, however, as the most prestigious business school in Oxford. Some other business schools in Oxford are:
- Oxford Business College
- Oxford Brookes Business School
- Magna Carta College Oxford
Learn more about these business schools below: tuition costs, program types, and availability.
University of Oxford, Saïd Business School
Saïd Business School is one of the top business schools in the world, ranked as the best in Europe by The Economist. It’s also sometimes ranked first among all UK universities for its research quality.
The business school was founded as far back as 1965 as the Oxford School of Management Studies. It was later renamed years later in 1996 to “Saïd Business School” after a donation received from Wafic Saïd, a Saudi businessman and financier.
He believed that education could help people make their way up the social ladder by improving their intellectual abilities and providing them with skills that would enable them to understand how society functions.
The school has come a long way since it was founded. It now offers a range of courses including MBA degrees, EMBA degrees, and Master’s courses. It also houses the Saïd Business School Centre for Entrepreneurship which provides training to entrepreneurs who want to start new businesses.
The school has close links with industry, providing students with access to world-class research facilities and the opportunity to take part in practical projects that help them develop skills that are relevant for working in a business environment.
This hands-on approach makes it possible for students to gain knowledge that they can apply immediately while they’re studying at SBS.
Saïd Business School is a top business school in the UK and Europe, and it is a widely popular and prestigious school. And famously, it is a highly selective school so competition for admission is high. There are also many programs for students who want to study abroad, as well as opportunities for research if this suits you.
Applying to Saïd Business School: The Process
Some of these include:
- Having a full-time relevant work experience for at least two years. This should be detailed on your one-page CV.
- Submitting your Career Plan. This demonstrates what your post-MBA plans are; the program will equip will with the skills to scale these goals.
- Supplying evidence of your undergraduate study; SBS is usually keen on academic excellence. So, if you especially graduated with first-class honors in your bachelor’s degree, you might have an edge.
- A GMAT or GRE score is required. Applicants with GMAT scores of 650 and above, or GRE scores (alternatively) of 160 and above for both Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning are considered competitive.
- Next, you will need to submit a written work/essay that describes your strong candidacy for consideration in the merit of the MBA program. To learn more about what you’ll be writing about, see this.
- An online assessment test is required.
- You will also supply two references from your academic mentors and show proof of your English language capacity through TOEFL or IELTS.
- Other application logistics will include sorting your visa application (for international students). Then you can submit your application after you must have paid a £150 application fee.
- After applying (and you make it past the first stage), you will be invited for an interview. You will be notified when you are shortlisted for one.
- After completion of these steps, you can now wait for the final decisions.
The tuition fee to study for an MBA at Saïd Business School is £71,540 while an EMBA from SBS costs in excess of £98,590 to study.
Oxford Business College
Oxford Business College is the oldest independent business school in Oxford (meaning that it is not affiliated with any university or college in Oxford); it is located just off the city center.
The college offers a variety of MBAi (MBA International) programs, including a six-week Executive MBA program and an Advanced Professional Diploma in Management. Its full-time MBA program is 12 months long (1 year), with classes held on weekends.
This MBA program, as they acknowledge, is intended to accelerate the careers of students and professionals who are looking to work in, or are already working in creative industries. The program presents its students with a holistic approach to business and guides them to become rational critical thinkers and problem-solvers.
Oxford Business College is accredited by AMBA and AACSB International—the top two global accreditation bodies for business schools.
Oxford Business College is a member of the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC). It is also one of only two universities in the United Kingdom to hold both accreditations from AMBA and AACSB International.
The program costs £9,250.
Oxford Brookes University, Oxford Brookes Business School
Oxford Brookes Business School is a leading provider of education and training in business and management, offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The business school is housed within Oxford Brookes University – a top school in Oxford, England.
The idea behind the establishment of Oxford Brookes Business School was to offer students a broad choice of options from the very start through its three academic divisions:
- The Faculty of Arts & Sciences offers an innovative range of undergraduate degrees including law, criminology, psychology and politics along with postgraduate programs including MBA’s; LLB Law; MA in Politics & International Relations; MSc in Economics.
- The Faculty for Health Sciences has two departments: Health Studies which offers a wide range of undergraduate degrees including midwifery; nursing; occupational therapy as well as postgraduate programs including adult nursing; clinical psychology with counseling skills pathway; counseling studies with psychotherapy pathway; mental health support worker certificate, etc.
In addition, there is also an Institute for Health Research which includes research groups covering areas such as cancer prevention studies or nutrition research.
The Oxford Brookes MBA program costs £18,600.
To qualify to study for an MBA at Oxford Brookes Business School, you will need:
- a minimum of three years of relevant managerial or professional experience,
- a good degree (or GPA equivalent) or relevant postgraduate/post-experience qualification from a recognized institution, or a professional qualification from an approved and recognized body that is equivalent to a degree,
- two written references (usually one academic),
- Alternatively, if you have considerable management experience you can apply for the MBA program without a degree.
They stated that they usually require seven years’ relevant managerial or professional experience, so be ready.
An advantage of the Oxford Brookes MBA is its flexibility; the program is offered through distance learning (online), during teaching hours at the school, or a combination of both. This flexible schedule gives its students an option in terms of deciding the pace of their studies.
Magna Carta College, Oxford
Magna Carta College Oxford is an independent, private business school that was founded in 1983. It is located in the city of Oxford and is a member of the University of Oxford.
The institution offers a 100% online mini-MBA that is well received. The program modules cover key aspects of business, including:
- Corporate and Business Strategy.
- Marketing in a Global and Digital World.
- Leading and Managing People.
- Financial Issues.
- Cooperating to Compete.
The program is a well-thought-out one; it is suitable for those who cannot afford a full MBA program but are looking for something similar. The full cost of this program is £2,450. The International MBA program at Magna Carta costs £7,950.
Quick Tips on Applying for MBA Programs in Oxford Successfully
There are some things you need to keep in mind when applying for MBA programs in Oxford:
- Make sure you have a good GMAT score. The GMAT is the most important factor of your application. Make sure that it is competitive and well within the range of scores accepted by each school’s admissions committee.
- Make sure you have a good GPA (grade point average). Your GPA is also important but not as critical as your GMAT, so don’t worry too much about it if it isn’t perfect already – just make sure it isn’t way less than what they expect at that particular business school!
- Make sure you have an excellent essay and recommendation letters from previous employers or professors. These two components are vital because they give insight into who you really are and how capable of succeeding in business school one really is.
It should show them:
Why exactly does this person think he/she has what it takes to succeed here?
What makes him/her unique?
How did he/she grow professionally over time?
- Make sure you have a good background. This is important because it will help the admissions committee decide whether or not they think your past experiences are relevant to this coursework, which in turn helps them see if you’re actually qualified for their program.
- Lastly, ensure that all of these things are reflected on your resume and cover letter – because, without them, no one will even consider hiring you.
It will also help if you’ve taken any classes related to an MBA or have completed any internships in the past.
Below are the popular FAQs about business schools in Oxford.
What is the MBA Application Process?
To apply to a business school in Oxford, you should check their website for information on how to apply and the deadlines. You will also need to submit official transcripts from all of your academic institutions.
Most business schools also require that you take an admissions test like the GMAT or GRE as well as submit three letters of recommendation from current or former professors or employers who can speak about your professional achievements and potential for success in an MBA program.
What is the GMAT Score Requirement?
Most business schools require at least 650 on their version of the GMAT exam, but some may have higher minimum scores depending upon other factors such as GPA (grade point average), work experience, etcetera.
The average scores tend to be between 660-680 due to people taking practice tests beforehand until they get used to it enough so that they don’t bomb out during testing day itself.
How hard is it to get into Oxford Business College?
The college is highly selective and, therefore, admission to the college is not easy. However, it’s worth noting that Oxford Business College has a campus in Oxford where students can earn their degrees.
The school’s alumni network also offers great job opportunities for graduates: they have strong connections with industry leaders who hire new graduates and offer them internships and full-time positions after graduation.
The college itself has a strong reputation for offering high-quality education for its students—and not just any old degree; one of the best business degrees in the country.
In addition to this, their faculty members are among some of the most experienced professors in Britain; those who teach at Oxford Business College are known for being both knowledgeable and engaging teachers who help encourage excellent performance from their students.
As far as curriculum goes, OBC offers various programs related specifically to certain industries such as finance or marketing (for example). These programs generally take four years total (or two years if taken online)
How hard is it to get into Saïd Business School?
If you’re looking to get your MBA at Saïd Business School, the first thing you should know is that it’s one of the most competitive business schools in the world. In fact, Saïd boasts an acceptance rate of just over 18 percent. That means that only about 18 in 100 applicants are accepted into this elite program.
But don’t let these statistics deter you from applying; if your numbers are on par with theirs, there’s a good chance that you’ll be accepted as well. The average GMAT score for students at Saïd is 742—and that’s a high score compared to other schools around the world. The school also has an average TOEFL score of around 110 and GPAs above 3.5 on average (averaged out by GPA).
What is life in Oxford like?
Oxford is an old city, with a lot of history. The city dates far back to the 11th century when the Oxford Castle was built by the Norman baron, Robert D’Oyly the elder from 1071 to 1973.
In fact, Oxford is one of Britain’s oldest cities—and yet it’s still thriving today. There are plenty of museums and shops in Oxford that make this city exciting for tourists and residents alike.
There are many green spaces around town too; if you want some quiet time away from bustling crowds and busy traffic jams, head to one of these parks: Botanic Garden or Port Meadow (one large park full of grassy lawns and running trails).
Is studying for an MBA in Oxford worth it?
The University of Oxford offers two kinds of MBA programs: one that’s designed for people who already have an undergraduate degree, and another designed for those with no prior experience in Business. These programs are among the top 10 most prestigious MBAs in Europe.
The Oxford Innovation Academy (OIA) program is offered by the Saïd Business School at Oxford University. This master’s degree program is designed to provide students with leadership training through a combination of lectures, project work, and personal reflection on their own experiences within the course material presented by their instructors. The program lasts three years full-time or six years part-time.
What major is Oxford known for?
So, you’re interested in Oxford for business and want to know what major is best suited for you? Oxford is known for its Business & Management degrees, which are the most popular subjects among students.
Wrapping It Up
We hope that this post has been helpful if you’re seriously considering Oxford for an MBA program. However, if you are still contemplating studying for an MBA in other top cities in the world, you can browse our category of business resources. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.