Are you looking to kickstart a career in nutrition? Then you should consider applying for a 2-year nutrition degree online.
A lot of students have started enrolling in schools online to pursue their nutrition careers due to the population in the field.
Studying online is an advantage for students because they can easily manage their study schedule by studying whenever it is most convenient for them. In this article, we will look at the 2-year Nutrition Degree Online and more.
Nutrition is referred to as the study of the nutrients in foods, how the body uses these nutrients, and the relationship between health, diet, and disease.
Nutrition focuses on the ability to use dietary choices to reduce disease risk, how allergies work, and what happens if someone has too little or too much of a particular nutrient.
Nutrition has become a popular and important field of study over the years. Today, there are various types of nutrition degrees that you can earn online.
If you have an interest in health, diet science, and nutrition, an online nutrition degree may be the best option.
How can a 2-year Nutrition Degree online benefit you?
No matter where you decide to earn your online nutrition degree, you stand a chance to benefit from the affordability and flexibility of the program. Schools online allow you to learn at your own pace at a cheaper rate than the cost of their on-campus counterparts.
Some universities are designed with the purpose to prepare their students to enter their fields upon completion of their programs.
The ability of the students to get their degrees online and work with peers from all around the globe gives them a chance to gain experience and a unique perspective when aspiring for higher education degrees.
Online Nutrition Degrees
There is a wide variety of things that can be done with a degree in nutrition and potential jobs can be rewarding and very lucrative.
People who seek a career in nutrition often impact whole communities positively and change food culture in institutions like hospitals and schools.
Earning a certificate is considered a great step toward becoming a nutritionist. However, you should keep in mind that a certificate is not a certification.
Some certificates you can earn include:
- Nutrition consulting
- Nutritional therapy
- Holistic nutrition
- Health coaching
- Sports nutrition
Nutrition Curriculum and Courses
Although every school is different, this is a sample of a few standard courses you are likely to take to get your nutrition degree online:
- Introduction to Public Health
- Food Service 101
- Sports Nutrition
- Vitamins and Minerals overview
- Diet and Culture
- Science of Herbs
- Clinical Nutrition
- Wellness Psychology
and lots more.
How long does it take to obtain a Nutrition Degree online?
Various schools allow students to obtain their nutrition degrees online. Online courses are now popular because they allow you to study at any time and anywhere.
Most schools offer a 2 years nutrition program online and upon completion, students obtain their associate’s degree.
An associate’s Degree in Nutrition gives students a basic overview of the discipline. It lays the foundation for students who will eventually decide to continue their education.
However, most students decide to continue their education because in the field of nutrition, just as with most fields, the more education you have, the more job opportunities you will experience.
Other obtainable degrees in nutrition include:
1. Bachelor’s Degree
This takes four years to complete and is required by those who want to be registered dietitians. In this program, students gain a solid foundation in nutrition theory; how it works when dealing with patients practically.
2. Master’s Degree
This program takes about two years to complete. After obtaining a bachelor’s degree, some students may feel the need to broaden their knowledge and advance their skills, by enrolling in a master’s nutrition degree program. This program allows students to have an area of specialty, and there is a heavy emphasis on students’ understanding of nutrition research.
3. Doctorate Degree
This program takes about five to seven years to complete, and it is more focused on research. This degree is ideal for professionals that intend to become experts and advance in their careers. Upon completion of this program, students are expected to have gained the following skills
- Clinical decision-making skills
- Scholarly research skills
- Communication skills
- Assessment skills
Nutrition Careers and Salaries
There is a wide variety of career directions you can opt for with a nutrition degree.
Those who yearn to help people may find themselves in counseling roles, those who incline toward academics may find themselves writing research and others might find themselves out in the field.
Your salary in this field is affected by different factors including education level, experience, the state you live in, and how competitive your specific field in nutrition is.
There are lots of career opportunities in the nutrition field, and some potential ones, alongside the average salary, include:
A Dietetic Technician is a wellness practitioner whose job is to develop nutritional plans that will help to treat illness, promote health, and prevent disease. Employers may include hospitals or nursing homes.
Their average salary is $41,500.
Weight Loss Counselor
A weight loss counselor works with patients to determine the cause of weight issues and come up with ways to tackle the issues.
Their average salary is $22,000.
Nutrition Assistants work with patients to enlighten them on healthy eating and nutrition by evaluating the patient’s existing eating habits and establishing a new plan for healthy eating.
Their average salary is $41,900.
The role of a Nutrition Educator is the marketing, developing, and implementing of education programs and services for customers. They can work in different institutes including hospitals, schools, retirement communities, corporations, offices of doctors, and lots more.
Their average salary is $37,400.
A Food Technologist works in research and development for food and beverages. Their work is to improve the quality of products, the way products are packaged, and the manner of storage and processing.
Their average salary is $56,800.
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- The median annual salary for Dietitians and Nutritionists is $61,650
- The lowest 10% of Dietitians and Nutritionists earn less than $42,530
- The highest 10% of Dietitians and Nutritionists earn more than $93,640
The sky is really the starting point with a nutrition degree!
Licensing and Certification Requirements for Nutrition
The requirements for licensing and certification differ across the country. Make sure to research your state’s requirements before going ahead with your training.
There are various certifications you can pursue, some of which include:
- Certified Nutrition Specialist
- Certified Clinical Nutritionist
- Commission on Dietetic Registration Specialty Certification
- Registered Dietician
The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and Registered Dietitian (RD) credentials are usually administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, and they meet the requirements for licensing in most states.
Some of the general requirements to obtain an RDN and RD credential include:
- Being a graduate of an accredited and approved bachelor’s degree program
- Completion of a supervised practice program
- Passing a national examination
- Completion of continuing education requirements
Recommended Schools For a 2-year Nutrition Degree Online
There are lots of options to choose from when it comes to where to get your online nutrition degree, however, there are some things to keep in mind when choosing a school. They include:
1. Flexibility – Make sure that the school allows you to set your schedule.
2. No constraints – Make sure that you are not constricted by time limits on your classes
3. Accessibility – Make sure you can easily access the school’s materials at any time.
4. Technology – Make sure you are comfortable with the school’s choice of technology.
5. Accreditation – Make sure you enroll in a school that is accredited.
Some of the schools to consider for getting your 2-year nutrition degree online include:
- Cincinnati State
- San Diego Mesa College
- North Shore Community College
- Community College of Denver
- Glendale Community College
- Nassau Community College
- Huntington University of Health Sciences
- Central Arizona College
- South Seattle College
- Paradise Valley Community College
1. Cincinnati State
Degrees Offered :
- Associate of Science Degree in Pre-Nutrition Science
Visit the School’s website. See tuition details.
2. San Diego Mesa College
- Associate of Science Degree in Nutrition
- Associate of Science Degree in Nutrition and Fitness
- Associate of Science Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics for Transfer Degree
You can visit the school’s website or check out tuition details.
3. North Shore Community College
- Associate of Science in Nutritional Science and Diet Technology. See tuition details
4. Community College of Denver
- Associate of Applied Science in Nutrition
- Certificate in Food, Nutrition, and Wellness
- See tuition details.
5. Glendale Community College
- Associate in Applied Science in Exercise Science and Personal Training
- Certificate in Nutrition for Fitness and Wellness
- Transfer Associate of Arts in Nutrition (Dietetics)
- Transfer Associate of Arts in Nutrition (Food & Nutrition Management)
- Transfer Associate of Arts in Nutrition (Human Nutrition)
- Transfer Associate of Arts in Nutrition (Nutrition Communication)
Visit the school’s website or check out their tuition details.
6. Nassau Community College
- Associate of Science in Legal Studies
- Associate of Science in Food and Nutrition
See tuition details or visit the school’s website.
7. Huntington University of Health Sciences
- Associate of Science in Applied Nutrition
- Associate of Science in Integrative Nutrition
- Diploma in Comprehensive Nutrition
- Diploma in Women’s Nutrition
See tuition details and check out the school’s website for more.
8. Central Arizona College
- Association of Applied Science in Dietetic Technician
- See tuition details
9. South Seattle College
- Association of Arts in Human Nutrition
- Associate of Science in Sciences for Pre-Majors
- See tuition details
10. Paradise Valley Community College
- Associate of Applied Science in Nutrition and Dietetic Technology
- See tuition details
Scholarships for Nutrition
There are lots of scholarships available for those who are looking towards getting a nutrition degree. Scholarships assist students with educational expenses, you may even be lucky to qualify for several of them.
What Can I Do With a Nutrition Degree After Graduation?
With your nutrition degree, you can work in different settings including governmental settings, and private settings.
You can work in various institutes including hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, gyms, and so many other places.
Some people prefer to work in smaller communities to help improve their dietary practice.
Is There a Difference Between a Nutritionist and a Dietician?
Although, dietitians are held in higher esteem than nutritionists, the primary difference between them is that dietitians answer to a regulatory college.
In reality, a lot of nutritionists are better educated than dietitians and even hold influential positions in the health and wellness field.
Should I get my Nutrition Bachelor Degree Online or On-Campus?
Although there are advantages to getting your nutrition degree in class, there is not much difference between getting your nutrition degree online and getting it in class.
Most students these days go for online classes because of the flexibility of the study schedule and the affordability of the classes.
Accredited courses online carry as much weight as their counterpart. Whichever one you opt for is good.
Is Getting Your Bachelor Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics Worth it?
It is always advisable to take your degree to a higher level because with it you can work in different capacities.
It helps to broaden your knowledge about your field and in turn, puts you in a position to fit the requirements for various job opportunities in your field.
You will most likely be able to attain an entry-level position with an associate degree in nutrition, you may even decide to start up your nutrition business with this degree.
Nonetheless, if you wish to excel in the industry, earn larger figures, improve credibility, and achieve managerial and executive positions, then you will have to obtain a higher degree.
As I stated earlier, the more education you have, the more job opportunities you will experience. What are your thoughts about these 2-year Nutrition Degree Online? Please leave a comment below.